Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reemtu

wall tile

reemtu
10 years ago

we have a gorgeous wall accent tile picked out for our master bath shower, its a 4x4 decorative (will post a pic if i figure out how). the rest of the wall tile around it that has been picked out is a 6x6 gold matte daltile. im having second thoughts - is 6x6 too small? i hate the look of the showers with the square tile all layed out straight top to bottom. is this going to look like we picked the cheap option next to a gorgeous expensive decorative?

Comments (7)

• lisadlu
    10 years ago

Try to post a photo of both tiles together. That said, your accent tile is gorgeous and you should use a simple tile with it. It sounds like the 6x6 gold tile will be simple enough to let the other tile shine. I prefer larger tile than 6x6 (less grout lines and less of a "busy" look) so since you are questioning this you should go look at some larger format tiles with your accent piece. Love that accent tile!

• reemtu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

questioning is never good 5 minutes before you're placing the order :) don't have both together, but i have one of just the 6x6.
    i guess i could put it in a diamond pattern the way it is here..

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Or running bond.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 21:14

• reemtu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i asked for quotes on 12x12 gold matte tiles too. i am never renovating the bathroom again. ill probably post what options i get back. thx all!

• enduring
    10 years ago

You image above with the accent tile is not a fair comparison with what you are doing. They show the same size accent in the framed picture, as is on the wall. At least that is what it looks like to me. I would use a larger format tile with the 4x4, to get better definition in size. I would draw it up on graph paper too, to see what pattern and scale I prefer.

• reemtu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@enduring, i know. our accent is 4x4 and the others are 6x6, just can't decide if that's larger enough. we could do the half and half like the picture, diamond on top and brick pattern on the bottom. only problem is the pencil between the two patterns would be at the halfway point of my accent tile square like the picture above.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I don't get what you mean regarding:
    "...only problem is the pencil between the two patterns would be at the halfway point of my accent tile square like the picture above."

When I have done my tile on my 3 projects, I draw the pattern up exactly how I want it. Tile is very grid like and graphic. Not much leeway, if something is off in one area it impacts things in other areas.

Taking your picture above, I don't like how the mural is fitted into the wall. I would not be happy with that layout. The tiles line up nicely on the bottom and the left side, but at the top and on the right side the cuts are not the same on the diamond. I would have totally centered that puppy, or used trim pieces to bring it into symmetry. Those are details that I think are important, as well as scale and color.