Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djdoggone

What's The Easiest Bathroom To Clean?

djdoggone
16 years ago

I have rheumatoid arthritis so hubby is the bathroom (and general) cleaner. Our deal is I find the easiest surfaces for cleaning in the retirement cottage we're planning. (Won't get my dream marble countertops. Sigh)

What I THINK I've learned: In the bathroom a cast iron tub would be easiest to clean. A surround of corian, if we can afford it. Otherwise, tile with some special grout that resists mildew and mold (have to learn about that), and make grout lines as small as possible.

Sink should be under counter, of porcelain, or integrated corian. I'm not sure about the Kohler one piece sinks/counter tops of cast iron; we haven't seen them in person and hubby thinks they look funky (a bad thing).

I'd been thinking tile for wainscotting and for walk-in shower (if there's room for one), but in response to a totally different question, gardenspice mentioned glossy tile can be hard to keep clean. Oh Oh. What do I know, I have a wood bathroom (walls, ceiling, and floor -- not recommended). What kind of tile is easy to keep clean?

Sound right? Gadzooks this is complicated stuff. I sympathize with all who are in research overload. As always, thanks for the help.

Comments (9)

• jlcjlr
    16 years ago

I've decided on a solid surface material for the tub/shower surround. We are remodeling because of water damage due to failing grout. I look forward to never cleaning grout again! I'm not sure there's enough in the budget but I'm shopping around. Kerrock is a brand I'm exploring this week. Initial ball park pricing seems like it is just a little less than Corian. If we can't swing the solid surface, it'll be extra large porcelain tiles, less grout if I can't have no grout.

I'm leaning towards solid surface counter with intregal basin. I'm sticking to lino on the floor. I spent my childhood sweeping a tile floor and hated it. Again, I don't want any grout. I'm with you, ease of cleaning is important.

• ashlander
    16 years ago

Many of our choices for our master bath remodel was based on ease of upkeep.
    Shower: We chose cultured granite (solid surface) because we didn't want grout. We also splurged on frameless shower door. Much easier to keep clean.
    Also a good exhaust fan on a timer, like Panasonic, is imperative, to eliminate mold/mildew.

Floor: We opted for vinyl because we didn't want grout. Also we felt tile would be too hard and cold. Our vinyl is patterned like travertine tile.
    Toilet: A one piece is easier to clean than two piece.
    DH is the bathroom cleaner, and he chose Kohler Demi-lav vanity sinks which are drop-in, but have smooth lines. Very easy to clean..
    Good luck in your search.

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks muchly. Will check out Kerrock. Panasonic is on the list. Now the frameless shower door is.

Flooring is unknown. Doing radiant heat so that is a factor. And house is tiny, less than 900 s.f., and tight, tight, tight for energy conservation so vinyl is out (out-gassing). Might be marmoleum/lino or porcelain tile (which I learned this morning from Bill V can have thin grout lines -- I'm a fan of tile but hate grout).

What I'm wondering about most is the beadboard idea. Not having any painted surfaces in our current bathroom, I can not speak to wood, painted beadboard vs. Italian Grazia tile beadboard. I'm guessing the Italian tile is tres cher but am I going to regret painted wood? My husband is hard on a house (rough and tumble, who doesn't notice the debris he leaves in his wake) and the German Shepherds are murder: bathrooms are goal cages for games of keep-away and walls get a work out at bath time. Since I love all dearly and don't want to get rid of any of them, I need to figure out how to make a home that will accommodate us all, and within budget.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Make the grout as dark as you can bear-- you never hear people with charcoal grout complaining about cleaning.

If you do tile, check the CoF [co-ficient of friction] numbers: higher is better. The last thing anyone needs is a floor that gets slick when wet.

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, oruboris. Who knew?

Is there a co-ficient for cleaning? Glossy harder to keep clean than matte?

• lee676
    16 years ago

A one-piece tub with integral surround is easiest to keep clean. No caulk or grout lines anywhere! (except around the tub and walls themselves, which aren't in areas that get very wet or moldy). If you're remodeling existing space and can't fit one of these through your door or window, there are 2 or 3 piece units too, these will have at least one small gap, but it's several inches above the usual location (i.e. where the tub meets the surrounding walls) and still looks reasonably good. One piece vinyl floor, large surface vanity top with integral sink bowl(s) with cabinet below, faucet without lots of places to catch dirt, cleanable wall surface, 1-piece skirted toilet. A touchless/electronic control faucet, or one operated by foot pedals, will help keep the faucet clean.

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lee676: I assume the one-piece is an acrylic tub or a ? (can't remember the other non-cast-iron material that's used for tubs). I thought there was a problem with "plastic" tubs because they require special care.

• sheltieche
    16 years ago

acrylic they use for tub liners is same as industry use for production of new acrylic tubs- whirpools and plain ones. There is also fiberglass which is usually what sold in box stores, less expensive and more brittle.
    Corian is acrylic too. It is very easy to clean but one has to remember to use only appropriate cleaners as acrylics are easy to scratch.

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

Make the grout as dark as you can bear-- you never hear people with charcoal grout complaining about cleaning.

Actually, if you have hard water, dark grout can be hard to clean! It gets whiteish build up on it.