Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrslimestone_gw

My finished 'glamour vintage' bathroom

mrslimestone
16 years ago

My master bathroom is finally finished. I nearing the end of a long gut renovation and I wanted to share the sole completed room in the entire house! Size is approx 10x5ft in a 100 year old home.

Sorry about the lighting in these photos. I need to add bulbs in the sconces.

Floor tiles: Marble basketweave with ming dot accents

Wall tiles: The no name subway tile that was in stock at tile shop finished with victorian cap

Vanity, Medcine Cabinets, Lights, Shelves, Faucet, Towel Bar: Restoration Hardware

Toilet: Toto Promenade

Wall Color: Quiet Moments by Benjamin Moore

Shower: Sign of the Crab exposed with handheld

Im planning on adding some fluffy towels, a potted orchid, some photographs on the far wall and teak bench to finish it off. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Just wanted to thank everyone on this board for being such a great resource. I come here with questions and always leave with an answer from a simple search or posted question.

More photos:

Comments (84)

• piegirltoo
    16 years ago

oooo, nice! And you got those recessed medicine cabs I love so much!

Aren't you glad you let the wall color continue all the way around above the shower tile? For some reason I prefer that look to tile all the way to the ceiling.

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Cleo.

I don't think soapstone is rustic at all. It can look rustic in the right setting but its a very understated sort of stone so I think it can work in lots of settings. It could look super modern if you put with all glass and steel and I think it looks quite appropriate in my Victorian brownstone.

So essentially Im saying you can make it work in terms of style. That said - I don't think I would like soapstone in MY bathroom because I wanted all cool, calm colors in the same palette - soft grays, greens and whites. A black slab would really disrupt that look. So the end result would be different. Not bad, just different. At least thats how I see it in my mind.

Piegirl - Yes, I like to have a little bit of wall over the tile. We're lucky that our ceilings are pretty high and I think the space feels bigger because of it. But to be 100% honest, doing it this way was mostly b/c I didn't think my contractors had the skills to do it all the way to the ceiling without it looking sloppy. Having the tile go all the way to the ceiling requires an absolutely 100% perfecty level ceiling and tile line. Very few people seem to be able to do this and it would drive me nuts to see that everyday. Its the first thing I look at when I do go into a bathroom that has tile to the ceiling. So the choice was really easy.

• User
    16 years ago

Thanks for the opinion on the soapstone and floor tile. I want a similar look with a more farmhouse rustic style (since that is what I live in) so I will probably do painted off white cabinety with soapstone counters.

By the way, your soapstone looks beautiful in the kitchen. My counter guys oiled mine even though I wanted to do it so I know how you feel. I think your contractors were probably curious about the stone since it is not used very often.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Love the bathroom. Love your kitchen. Love your whole house. Please tell me the name of the sink faucets you used. I read through the whole thread but couldn't find it. Sorry if I missed it.

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks vwhippiechick. THe faucets are were by restoration hardware (manufactered by newport brass but I don't think they sell the same styles directly) and called "Lugarno". They sell for $479 but I got them during their annual 20% off sale.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Have you had a chance to take close-ups of the floor? :>)

Tks, Rae

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Rae - sorry, I haven't had a chance to upload yet. Ill do that soon.

• jellyben
    16 years ago

Gorgeous!!

What do you think of the RH vanity? They have a couple on sale, and since my dream is to have carrera marble somewhere in my home, I am just about to pull the trigger. I am hoping the quality is worth the $$$

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think the vanity is of a good quality. The marble top is nice and thick and its a pretty cut of stone (I was a little concerned I'd get some particularily ugly cut). The base is fine...I wouldn't say Im overwelmed by its quality or its cheapness. It sort of goes unnoticed b/c the main attraction is the top. Its a very simple base and it looks great. I shopped around a lot and surprisingly, RHs prices were not that expensive all things considered. As Ive said, I think I could have gotten the marble top cheaper but when I factored in the cost of the time to get that done, it wouldn't have been worth it.

Im still having trouble uploading photos today but I did measure the toilet area. Its 28 inches wide. Not sure if thats the standard but its plenty of room (I don't feel cramped in there). I can tuck a small waste bin to the right of the toilet (which is the only thing I needed room for)

Ive used the showerhead a bit now and I can say this: I looove the main rainshower head. Its got a great pressure - feels soft but powerful enough to get shampoo and conditioner out easily. The handheld is another story - the spray is very weak. Im not sure if this is something my installer did or it has something to do with the fixture itself but its a little disappointing. Im hoping my plumber can make it better but Im not sure if Im asking for the impossible.

Another bad thing about the exposed shower is that when its installed, it leans a little bit foward. At first I thought it was the installation but I have checked for plumb/level of the surrounding walls and it really is the fixture. Im not sure if its supposed to be that way as I had never seen this model installed. It doesnt change its operation and it looks fine I suppose...I just thought that was a little bit odd.

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Forgot to add: I do looooove the thermostatic valve. Ive never had one of those before and I don't think Im going to be able to live without it in the future.

• jellyben
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info about the vanity. I think I'll go for it.

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Finally got the photo to upload. I have to say, this photo doesn't make these tiles look very appealing but they look much cleaner/soothing in person.

I don't think it matters much but I used a pale green grout for the floor.

• meganmm
    16 years ago

Can I just say this is one of the prettiest bathrooms I have seen? I have been dragging my feet for more than a year on making decisions for our small master bath, and your pictures are making me re-think some of my ideas! My only qualm would be the task of keeping all that white subway tile and grout clean. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas on that?

Thank you for sharing your pictures - it is one gorgeous bathroom!

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks.

The only kind of tiles that are difficult to keep clean (at least in my experience) are floor tiles. Thats why I went with something that wasn't pure white. Ive never had an issue keeping wall tiles clean.

That said, Ive used marble subway tiles in my downstairs bathroom. I chose it b/c I liked the look better, not b/c of the cleaning. But if you really are concerned about the white tiles, its an alternative.

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

I love it, and love the basketweave tile!! And love the cream and green, my favorite color scheme! And, I love your kitchen too, especially the in-progress pictures with the blown out wall! I know, I'm strange, but I LOVE the potential you see when you knock down a wall, in that stage before anything is finished, and there's all the potential in the world. Often, that's better than the finished room, but not in this case. You've got great taste and put it all together so well. Enjoy!

• bhillwarner
    16 years ago

Hi -- I LOVE your bathroom! The dimensions are virtually the same as ours, and the look you achieved is very much what we are going for. I have a few questions about your tile... 1) Do you have the same marble basketweave in the shower as well? 2) Is it slippery in there, or did you have to treat it a different way to make it non-slip? 3) Do you have heated floors? If yes, what did you put in?

• oldhometara
    16 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous bathroom! Wish I had seen it sooner, as it's the exact look I wanted for my bathroom! But I've already made all my decisions, everything's been ordered, so too late for me to change. When finished, mine will be similar to yours, but I don't think mine will look as good as yours. Kudos to you on a job well done!

• Kelli Culpepper
    16 years ago

WOW does indeed sum it up. Love the wall color too. Lots of great ideas. Thanks!

• hamster
    16 years ago

can I come live with you?

• stolzie
    16 years ago

What a beauty!
    Thanks for being so generous with your ideas -- it's been a real inspiration looking at your pictures. All that hard work you put in means less work for the rest of us!
    You mentioned in passing that you used a pale green grout for your floor -- can you tell me which one? I was looking into Mapei colors, but they don't seem to have a pale green. Thanks again!

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry - I didnt see there were some questions until just now. Thanks for all your kind words.

bhill: 1)yes, the basketweave is in the shower 2) no special treatment and its not at all slippery 3)no heated floor

stolize: Im sorry, I don't remember the grout brand name. I do know the color was called "mint" but I doubt that helps you much. I bought it from the tile store that had about 30 different colors of grout. Maybe bill vincent might know a brand name that has a mint color?

• heidi877
    16 years ago

I love your bathroom! My master bath is the same size and layout as yours and I've been looking for ideas for the remodel...yours is so inspiring. I've been wavering between having one sink or two. DH and I would rarely use the sink at the same time, and I'd rather have the counter space for hair, makeup, etc.

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We generally brush our teeth and get ready for bed at the same time so the double sinks are a fun feature for us. If I were single, I would have done a sink and one of those fabulous vanities :)

• lachase
    16 years ago

Love the floor tiles and the light colors which make it look so clean and airy; very nice job! Thanks for sharing!

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

Very nice indeed mrslimestone!
    Question: Looking at your nice floor tiles, not sure if I see right...are those all single tiles, large & small?
    Do I see right?..a broken wall tile by the door and a kind of poor caulking job around the door jamb?
    Sorry to ask, figured I do, because you have it installed by professional's.
    Konrad

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your concern Konrad. Yes, it was installed by professional and while its not perfect, I think they did a nice job.

Im not sure what you mean by all single tiles. Its a basketweave marble so yes there are smaller and larger pieces arranged on a net.

There isn't a broken wall tile but I can see how you think that. Maybe a hair?

I don't think the door jamb is caulked at all.

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

Thanks Mrslimestone!
    >>Its a basketweave marble so yes there are smaller and larger pieces arranged on a net.Oh...I get it, on a net, nevertheless, it's done so perfect, I could not tell, where the net ends or starts, great job.

>>I don't think the door jamb is caulked at all.Sorry, guess I didn't see it right, if so, job well done!
    The same with that tile line by the door trim, sorry for asking.
    Konrad

• maw444
    16 years ago

I think your bathroom is great and we liked the marble tile floor so much that we have just used it for our bathroom remodel. We even had it shipped to CA from the same store you mentioned above (we couldn't find it here and everything similiar was much more expensive than getting it shipped).

Since the floor has been installed, we noticed several (a dozen pieces or so in the whole floor which is about 10 sq ft more than yours) individual pieces of the white carrera in the basketweave are tinted brown or have a brown edge. Our mistake was to not inspect every sheet before out installer put them in, but I didn't notice these brown pieces on the peices I did see before the installation.

My question is whether your floor also has several pieces that have a brown tint or if you saw some in sheets that you didn't use? I'm trying to figure out if it came about during installation (and might get worse) or if it is just the way the tile came (as Classic Tile thinks from my description to them).

Thanks,
    Matt

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ill have to inspect but I didn't notice any brown in my bathroom floor.

However, we also have a totally carrera marble bathroom and the tile color varies from gray to blue to brown. I knew that this marble varies in color and I like the variation. (The beige is probably my least favorite variation so if I had thought about it, I might have plucked those more beige tiles out of the boxes before installation but cest la vie.)

So it wouldn't surprise me if there was some brown in the floor as well.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3065/2346068139_1da2bbcbbe_o.jpg

I believe thassos is a more white variety of marble if you want all white.

• fullpass
    15 years ago

Mrs. Limestone,

I have to say that I'm incredibly impressed by your renovations. You have an unbelieveable eye and I'm staggered every time I look through your pics (here and on the kitchens forum). Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

I have a question about your amazing shower. I know that the floor is the matching tile but did you go with a pre-fab'd shower pan under the tile? Also, was your gorgeous glass door custom?

Again I have to say fantastic job and thank you for sharing with us all!

• napagirl
    15 years ago

Mrs. Limestone,
    Just wanted to congratulate you on a beautiful bathroom remodel. Its simply stunning!

• czoot
    15 years ago

Mrs Limestone - I just love your bathroom! I saw the post several month back and find that I keep coming back to it(as well as visiting your blog - love your taste). I'm considering using the same mosaic floor - am curious, has it been difficult to keep clean?

Thanks!

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks very much czoot, napagirl & fullpass.

Fullypass: Yes the shower door was custom. I think that is the only option when you have a space like mine but I could be wrong. We didn't use a pre-fab shower pan...its cement underneath the tiles. The contractor made the cement shower pan as one of the first things done and then they had water sit in a while to make sure it was waterproof. Then the tiles were added on top.

Czoot - So far, its been very simple to keep clean. Im sure we should use some sort of special cleaner, but we don't. Just the regular floor cleaner we've use all over the house.

• tlnn
    15 years ago

Love, love, love this bath! Seeing this pic come up in a Google search made me look at your entire photo album of your reno! Your house looks amazing. We are currently renovating a house and cannot wait for it to be complete! Do you mind sharing where you purchased your pendant lights in your kitchen? We have been looking for something very similar and haven't had any luck.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful home pics!

• cindypal
    15 years ago

Drop dead gorgeous bathroom! That paint color lives up to its name.

How do you like the pocket door? Its very nice. Is is smooth moving and does it lock?

I'm deciding if I want side-lights or overhead lights at my vanity. I love the look of side lighting best, and I've heard its better for closeup stuff like applying makeup and finding wrinkles - your thoughts?

• bradleyj
    15 years ago

There is a company that makes GREAT pocket door hardware. Expensive as all get out, but really solid, wonderful stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: pocket door locks

• carlynanne
    15 years ago

Amazing bathroom! I am mid-remodel, and have searched online for pics to show my contractor for weeks what I am envisioning. This is it.

Did you do the same marble basketweave for your shower flooring? I am currently trying to decide what I am pairing with the subway tile for flooring. I am planning to do basketweave floors.

Also, for anyone who is looking to cut some costs on vanities, I purchased my vanity from http://www.jandjinternationalllc.com/Retail_Products.html The first vanity that was shipped (arrived in 3 days) was damaged by the freight company during delivery, and they immediately shipped me a new one after I called to say that my contractor refused to accept delivery due to the damage. The second vanity was perfect. I saved about 1200-1500 from what I was wanting from pottery barn or restoration hardware.

• fullpass
    15 years ago

Mrs L, I had a rather urgent question about your lovely shower niche. Is that trimmed out in the same victorian cap as your walls? If not, do you know the name of the type of tile that was used to do that lovely framing? I say its urgent because I'm in the process of trying to explain to my contractor what I want and he's looking at me like i'm a bit crazy! Thank you so much for your help!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

fullpass, you can click on her photos to see a larger image. It looks like the same victorian cap.

Thanks for bumping this thread--I love to see this beautiful bathroom.

• sarahandbray
    15 years ago

I absolutely am DROOLING!!! I love it! I'm just back on gardenweb after a yearlong hiatus since we got our kitchen reno to the 90% done mark...and now we're working on our bathroom.

This is exactly the style of bathroom I always want to completely emulate--but I am petrified that it would be completely WRECKED by having all five of us using it (3 kids 5 and under and us! Yikes!!) since we only have one upstairs bath in our old farmhouse, but I absolutely love the style!

What an inspiration! Fabulous choices!

--Sarah

• polie
    15 years ago

Mrs. Limestone's entire house looks gorgeous based on the photos she posted. If she's not already an interior designer, she should think about becoming one. Take a look at that bathroom! It's classic but not stodgy. Everything is quietly elegant instead of being over-the-top trendy.

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. Sorry I wasn't able to respond to this sooner - I didn't realize anyone had posted on this recently.

Yes, its the same cap molding used to frame out the niche.

The pocket door is fine since this is off my bedroom but its a pain to lock. I think thats because I have an extra thick vintage door rather than a standard one. If this were a bathroom that was more "public" like a guest bath or off a hallway, I'd definitely be looking for a better lock than the cheapo one we found at Home Depot.

I did use the basketweave in the shower as well. No issues at all with it being too slippery (I was concerned about that but its a non issue)

I love the lighting in here. In addition to the side lights, I have overhead recessed lights as well a skylight. Its great for makeup application, eyebrow plucking, etc. My old bathroom had a single overhead light and now Im totally spoiled!

Hope that helps. Thanks so much for your kind words!

• sherri_09
    15 years ago

Absolutely Phenomenal!

I am curious how you are liking your Sign of the Crab shower system now that you have had a chance to use it for awhile? Did the issues w/the hanshower ever get resolved? I am considering purchasing this item for my bath and would appreciate knowing whether you would recommend it.

Thanks!

• redroze
    15 years ago

I think your bathroom is just gorgeous, peaceful and rich-looking. The paint colour is perfect.

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Sherri - I really love the shower. The handheld pressure still isn't great but I think that has to do with the way it was plumbed rather than the shower itself. My fault for not checking this before the walls were closed. Not a huge deal so I just live with it. Hope that helps!

Thanks!

• shannonaz
    15 years ago

Your bathroom is gorgeous! Everything is perfect and it sounds like you love it! Nobody has given you any decorating ideas, and I shouldn't either since you are obviously so talented...But I will! I think a RH train rack would by very gorgeous in your bathroom and it looks like you may have space for it. I wish I had a place for one but I don't think I will...

• jockewing
    15 years ago

Mrs. Limestone,

I just posted on the reno blog but wanted to post here too to tell you how much I love your house and bathroom. I think your bathroom might be one of the few "perfect" rooms I've seen--one where I wouldn't change a thing.

Partially thanks to you, I am slowly repainting my entire house in blue and greens. I am using Beach Glass in my bedroom and either Raindance or Imperial Gray in my bath. Incidentally, your Quiet Moments looks just like Imperial Gray in my house (Imp. Gray is on the strip next to the QM strip, and it is much greener).

I also adore how you painted closets and the craft room that bright turquoise. Where did you get that idea? Such a clever way to incorporate my favorite color without overwhelming an entire room!

• conn123
    15 years ago

Wow...absolutely LOVE your bathroom...I am joining the legions who will have copycat versions of it! I had been wavering on the RH Cartwright vanity (bought the RH Hutton for my daughter's and son's bathrooms and the drawers seem to stick a bit), but one look at your pictures and am convinced. Also just saw link to what I think is your other bathroom (there was a link above?? will post it below). Would you mind also providing info on specs (vanity, marble, faucet, tub, etc). Thanks and congrats...they're both absolutely stunning.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kntryhuman
    15 years ago

Gorgeous bath! How did you attach the glass shelf in the niche?

• neesie
    15 years ago

What a gorgeous room! I have to laugh because we just painted our bathroom a color very similar to what you have and someone on the decorating board discouraged me from using green saying that my complexion will look sick when I look in the mirror. We painted this weekend and I love it!