Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clamps or U-Channel (Frameless Glass Shower)

Posted by Jewel654 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 18:22

Is there anything I should know regarding these two ways to attach frameless glass shower panels? Is one considered more attractive by the majority? Is one type stronger/more sturdy? Are there cleaning concerns with one over another?

If it makes a difference in your advice, our shower won't be huge -- roughly 40" x 50".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clamps or U-Channel (Frameless Glass Shower)

Here is a link that millworkman has posted to. He does shower doors for a living. Others posted too. Lots of nice pictures. It might be a helpful starting point for your inquiry.

Here is a link that might be useful: clamps or u-channel... from 2012

o

Sorry for my confusion but I thought "frameless" meant no channel or clips or anything, hence “frame………less”.

I had two bathrooms done in true frameless and its floor to ceiling glass with no u-channels, no clamps or any hardware at all. There are tiny clear rubber shims along the bottom and top and a small bead of silicone. It’s easy to clean and no hardware to tarnish or rust and a really clean look.

Isn't that true frameless?

o

There really has to be one or the other as far as I know as silicone alone will not work by itself.

o

I've never seen an installation that had nothing. "old school" framed shower doors had glass surrounded on all 4 sides with metal frames. "Frameless" means you don't have it surrounded. But you still need a mechanical way to hold it to the wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: framed shower door

o

Thank you for the link, Enduring. Still haven't decided which way to go. The u-channel I've seen at two local glass places is 3/4" (not as "low profile" as I'd like to see).

o

Renosarefun can you post a photo of your bathroom. I am curious to see how it was done without clamps or a u-channel.

o

I would be interested to see that as well.....

o

I have a 3/8" u channel on the top of my pony wall which is the only glass I have in my shower. The glass place insisted that there was no such thing as a 3/8" u channel and tried to sell me a 3/4" but I googled it to show them otherwise and pushed them and they ordered it. It looks great and is much less visible.

o

Do you remember where you ordered from, NYCBlueDevil?

o

Strachman Glass on the upper west side. Are you in NYC?

o

Strachman's on the upper west side. Are you in NYC?

o

No, I'm not, but if they ship, I'm golden. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here