Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to adjust frameless shower door

Posted by allison0704 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 18:10

Does anyone know the trick to adjusting a frameless shower door? We've been in our new home just over three years and it needs adjusting (glass getting to close to tile at the top edge). TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to adjust frameless shower door

It really depends on the type of hinge. Your best bet would be to do a search of the manufacturer's website.

Some are not adjustable. Some can be adjusted slightly with set screws. In others the glass can be shifted a bit within the hinge itself.

o

photos of the shower door and hinges?

o

It is a custom door made locally, wasn't sold as a set.

I never noticed the screws on the back of hinges (inside shower when door is closed). Live and learn.

Tiny holes:

Screws on inside of shower:

o

I think you have a vienna hinge.

You can loosen the two large screws on the hinge and readjust the door. Make sure you set the glass on shims so that the edges do not impact tile or anything hard. It is very easy to shatter the tempered glass (i know, i have done it)...

You can add more shims to bring the door to the level you want and then retighten the screws.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instructions for hinge

o

Thank you! We will be careful.

o

No sudden movements! And have a helper.

o

Until you get it adjusted, make sure someone is home when you shower. DH and I rented a condo after we sold our house and before we moved into our current home. The condo had a lovely frameless shower door. Once while DH was showering, the door slipped and he was stuck in the shower. He yelled, I heard him and between the two of us we were able to open the door and get him out. The owner had it repaired, sorta. Two weeks later, the same thing happened to me. The second repair bunch installed heavier duty hinges, or something. After that, if no one were home, I'd shower in the guest bathroom because it had a curtain!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here