Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you Add a tile flange to a bathtub?

Posted by palimpsest (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 18:03

I am thinking of a small bathroom plan where a tub like the Kohler Mayflower (44" x 48") could make sense.

The 44" side has a 28" projection while the 48" side has a 24" projection.
 photo 00027219_43_zps6304d08d.jpg

This is a corner tub, but I was thinking of a 3-wall alcove application which means I would need a flange on one of the short sides.

Is it possible to do something like epoxy a tile flange on the outer edge of one of the aproned sides for proper waterproofing in a 3-wall alcove situation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you Add a tile flange to a bathtub?

I would think so. I got the Kohler Greek tub and installed it in an alcove. Kohler sells a tile-in bead kit which I bought. We ended up using something else that my contractor bought but was the same idea.

o

If it's an acrylic tub, the short answer is "technically yes". If it's a cast iron, then no. You can't glue plastic to cast iron with any success. The long answer is that that isn't a tub that's suited to being used as a shower, regardless of if a tile flange is attached. The large deck area will funnel water onto the adjacent floor rather than into the tub. Tubs that are designed for use as a tub/shower combo do not have any deck area for water to accumulate. They are designed for the flange to fit against the wall, and the wall of the tub to be directly below it to funnel the overspray back into the tub.

o

I took a lot of long showers in high school in an original pink Cinderella tub, with no water on the floor.

Pal, did you see the link I posted in Kitchens? You can get an original white Cinderella with flanges on three sides.

o

I think I have a plan worked out where I can use the Mayflower tub in a corner installation, without the extra side enclosed alcove style.

The existing situation is a small back-to back full bath/powder room set up where the powder room was jerry rigged into a three quarter that is not code compliant I don't think.

The plan is to redo both baths but there is no way to expand (at least in one direction) so gaining space for the 3/4 involves stealing a few inches from the full bath.

This tub provides the answer, I think, and it would be appropriate because it's a mid-century house. Not being able to add a flange actually made me look at both bathrooms differently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here