Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you upgrade (on a shoestring) in a guest bath

Posted by kam76 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 18:02

We are planning to sell this house in the near future. The 3/4 guest bath in the basement is horrible. Think nasty safari wall paper and a black painted??! countertop with all the lovely watermarks and peeling that show you that painting a countertop is a bad idea. When we moved in 7 years ago we thought we would do something about it but could never come up with a plan that satisfied all our other needs in the basement space so of course we did nothing. Now we are going to sell and I want a bathroom that isn't going to turn the buyer off but that won't break the bank either.

Obviously we are going to strip the wall paper and paint and replace the lovely cheap vinyl strip baseboards. The toilet and shower are in decent shape. What else would you do?

Change light fixture? it is pretty dated
hardware on vanity- matches the faucet but kinda boring
Granite counter top? (I found a 30" on craigslist for $75 with a sink) or just go with laminate?
The faucet? not bad, not my style but not horrible
The vanity? It is painted white wood, in average decent shape
I am not crazy about changing the vinyl floor (maybe stick tiles?)
Put up shelves? (not much storage in the 30" vanity)

I will get new towels and bath mats and all that stuff.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you upgrade (on a shoestring) in a guest bath

I would do as much as I could for cheap. All the things you mentioned that you are doing for sure are good, to get the "safari" feel out of there. Lol! Don't know if I would do the floor either, if you think it could be neutral enough or not be noticed too much, just leave it. Way to go on the craigslist find, love it!

o

Can you share a picture? It's hard t say without seeing it. $75 for granite sounds pretty great if it'll fit.

o

I think you are on the right track. Keep an eye out for a Craigslist vanity too, if you can swing it. Again pictures would help.

o

I agree about the Craigslist vanity top. The bathroom in our new house had received a small ""touch up" before being put on the market...it included paint, peel and stick floor tiles, a new comfort height toilet and a big box granite top with undermount sink and new faucet. We were pleased to see that the bathroom had been "updated" when we walked through. Of course, 2 years later and we are ripping it out and redoing it for real! But, at the time of walk through, seeing the minor improvements were enough to satisfy us then.

o

I'd snatch the granite CL vanity top, and design around that. Paint the vanity to coordinate, paint the walls, add a shelf for towels/storage. If the vinyl flooring will look ok with the granite, I'd just keep it after cleaning it withing an inch of its life and coating with Mop and Glow or some other shine enhancer. If not, replace it with new sheet vinyl, or vinyl planks, it is not a difficult DIY project in a small room if you are at all handy.

Probably a new light fixture too, as you can find some good-looking inexpensive ones at HD or Lowes. I just bought one for less than $80 that will work until that bath reaches the top of the list.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here