Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with master bath layout

Posted by daviddj (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 17:53

Hi this is a preliminary design our architect came up with of our master bath. We're not sure we like this. Pretty much our only requirement is a walk-in shower with no glass walls. We don't have a huge budget and were looking to not save some money that we will use in other more used parts of the house like the kitchen. Most of what we see has tile and glass everywhere. We were thinking nice tile on the floor in the shower, but paint everywhere else.

FYI ... the 2 dotted circles are sloar tubes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with master bath layout

The location of the towel warmer means you have to cross the room when you step out of the shower.

o

agreed, that's one of the things we don't like. Where else could it go? We could make the WIC smaller if that would help

o

I'd split the vanity and put one (smaller one) on either side of the door, against the left wall. Then put the towel warmer on the outside of the shower wall.

o

Are you interested in a WC or not?

I mentioned in your BUILD post that I like them.

If you want to try it in this space and see how you like the resulting layout:

Split the sinks and have them opposite each other on either side of the door.

Turn the shower so it is beside the sink and running left to right.

Put the toilet, facing the closet, next to the shower on the outside wall, and wall it off. (this means your shower would have walls on 3 or so sides). Use a pocket door.

Put your towel warmer outside the shower door along the WC wall.

Enter your closet from approximately where the door is now.

I don't have a simple draw program to draw something up for you. If you need greater clarification, I'll try to sketch it out tomorrow and scan it in.

o

Thanks kirihall - I'm having a hard time visualizing what you described, if you could draw something up that would be awesome

o

Here are 2 options, just sketched. A third option would be to take the bottom choice and put the WC where the shower is, and the shower where the WC is (with or without an angle door).

From August 17, 2012

o

kirkhall: Rotating the shower 90 degrees will bump into the top sink.

o

I'm not sure what you mean weedy.

I haven't verified any dimensions, since I think they are still subject to change--nothing is fixed.

o

If you change from the current layout, you need to pay attention to the walls with the pocket doors. You aren't going to be able to have electric boxes for outlets or lights or plumbing in the "hollow" walls.

o

True. Pocket doors limit what you can do in their wall. Or, you can build a 2x6 wall to house the pocket AND whatever electrical you need (probably won't get plumbing there, except maybe supply lines).

o

Sorry, kirkhall, I wrote my post before you posted your drawing (and hit post after you did). I pictured the sinks running along the left wall (90 degrees rotated from how you drew them). In that configuration, there wouldn't be room to stand in front of the upper one if the shower was where you drew it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here