Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished white/marble bathroom

Posted by sayde (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 17:36

We finished about three years ago but I never posted. This is the master bath in a 1927 house. Original footprint but modified layout. The Gramercy washstand, vintage faucets, sconces, towel racks and medicine chest are all from Restoration Hardware. Toto Mercer toilet. We used carrara hexagon tiles on the floor and tub surround. Tub is Porcher cast iron. Frameless glass shower.

Very happy with the bathroom but would not recommend RH -- the mirror is delaminating --- it is really defective --- and RH customer service has refused to acknowledge or do anything. Very disappointed.

Here is a link that might be useful: White and marble bathroom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished white/marble bathroom

Always a pleasure to see one of your beautiful rooms, Sayde! It's very calm and soothing and classic. I especially like the gray ceiling against the white of the tiles and picking up the Carrara. I'm only seeing one picture--are there others?

Wonderful, elegant design that is, like your kitchen, pitch-perfect for your house.

o

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your beautiful bathroom.

o

Gorgeous!!!

o

Lovely. I love white and gray.

o

Thank you! I so appreciate the comments.

Here is another view. Since then we have added a mirror and towel bar on the wall opposite the washstand. My DH made the white cabinets on the two facing walls.

Here is a link that might be useful: bathroom looking from hall to window

o
RE: Finished white/marble bathroom .

Just lovely... what a beautiful bathroom.

o

Oh I love that floor!!!!!!! Gorgeous bathroom!

o

What an elegant, chic room you have created! I particularly love the full tiled walls and gray ceiling.

o

Soo pretty!! I love the hex tiles!! DH did a wonderful job on those wall cabinets!

o

Very Pretty and Relaxing. I love it.

o

Thank you all! It is actually nice to have waited this long to post the bathroom as we had such a tough time with it -- had to let go the first contractor -- but all that has now receded into memory and the bathroom is a pure pleasure.

The hex tiles were from AKDO --they were expensive but they did not disappoint.

o

Are your marble tiles polished or honed? I am deciding weather I want to put polished marble 2" hex in our main bath that the whole family uses, including a 6 year old boy.

I just love them so much and nothing else gets me excited. Am I crazy? With a good sealer will I be ok?

Love your bath, I want to move in!!

o

Hi positano,

The marble is all honed. I think with a good sealer you will be OK. We had a really excellent tile installer -- the job is just perfect. (He made up for all the jerks and incompetents we encountered along the way and he is the only one we allowed into the kitchen!)

I am the only one who uses this bathroom, except for occasional visits from my son and his fiancee. DH refuses to use it! He keeps to his own bathroom -- can you believe that? So the bathroom does not get heavy usage. I am super careful. So you may need to consider that too when you decide what to do. For sure I would use a darker grout. And I think honed is easier to live with then polished.

o

beautiful bathroom!

i just thought i'd comment to positano re: polished marble on the floors---we have polished marble tile on our floor and have had some trouble around the toilet--urine and polished (sealed!) marble does not seem to mix! definitely has etched and discolored some small areas of our bath:(

o

Oh darn, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. What kind of cleaners do you use on it to get the urine out.
My sample of hex tiles has a lot of gold in it, so maybe discoloration won't be too bad????
What size marble tiles do you have? Just wondering if it won't be as noticeable on 2 inch hex.
Trying to talk myself into it LOL!
Thanks for the response busy bee... have any pictures?

o

What a beautiful bathroom. Thank you for sharing the photo.
Renee

o

Its lovely! Thanks for sharing. Where did you find such large hex tiles?? I love the look of them. Thanks.

o

It really is pretty. What a shame about the mirror--the style is perfect for the room.

o

Hi Sayde,
Thanks for answering my questions. I think I am going with the 2" hex. It's from the tile shop and I was considering their sealer. I did a search for it and your name came up. DId you use it in your kitchen and bath? Happy with it? I think it is called Premium Gold for marble and onyx.

Just want to make sure we have a great sealer. If not I will use Miracle 511.

o

Oh, what a pretty bathroom! I'm reading the sealer comments and questions with interest, as we are getting close to finishing up a similar bathroom. (Carrera + white subway walls)

I hope it turns out half as nice as yours. Really, really beautiful! Thanks so much for posting the photos.

o

Hi positano

My tile installer used Aqua Mix in the bathroom. We used the Premium Gold on the Danby Marble in the kitchen. But shortly after the tile guy decided to put on an extra coat of Aqua Mix because we were using a dark grout on the backsplash and he wanted to be really sure that it would not stain the marble.

My tile guy likes the Aqua Mix.

I wonder if there is really that much difference among them. I think the key is to be careful and periodically re-seal.

o

What a serene space! Thanks for sharing.

o

Thanks Sayde about the Aqua Mix. Enjoy that beautiful bathroom!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here