Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Main floor bath a long walk from kitchen

Posted by shadey (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 17:26

Hello,

We have just purchased a 1948 cape cod in extreme need of a renovation. We are gutting the kitchen and dining room and putting in a main floor laundry. The main floor bath is on the opposite side of the house from the kitchen/laundry zone. We will have to walk through the living room and turn 2 corners to get to it. This is a full bath which will sometimes serve as a guest bath as it is next to the guest room.

It would be very convenient to have a powder room next to the kitchen but we are dumping so much into the house already ... And even a small powder room takes space that I want for my laundry/kitchen.

My current powder room is right near the kitchen, I wonder if it will be that inconvenient to go to the other side of the house or is it just something that will take getting used to?

Input?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Main floor bath a long walk from kitchen

I think you need to think about your family and your guests. Do you have little children who need to get to the bathroom quickly? Anyone with mobility problems? Think about your age and how long you plan to live there.

Some people don't like bathrooms near kitchens, others find them very convenient.

Any cape I've seen built in the 1940's or 50's is not very big to begin with. Can you post a layout?

o

For me it would be whether it's close to an outside door - if I'm out in the garden, I don't want to have to traipse through the whole house to use the bathroom. If your house isn't huge, it won't be a big deal to get to the existing bathroom - you'll get used to it.

o

now that's a good point. The house is on a lake with a walkout basement and there is a powder room down there. that is the one that will be used when we are outside so we won't have to traipse thru the main floor. Snd the house is small, so it's not so far.

o

now that's a good point. The house is on a lake with a walkout basement and there is a powder room down there. that is the one that will be used when we are outside so we won't have to traipse thru the main floor. Snd the house is small, so it's not so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here