Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower stall tile leak -- retro questions

Posted by stevebass (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 17:14

I need some advice on which professional does what job -- and the order that the work needs to take place.

I'd very much like to salvage the tile above the bench, and it's not because of the cost -- the thought of weeks of demolition and isn't appealing.

Here's a video of the shower
youtu.be/CxqvVercaOM

Here are the facts:

The tiles under the shower stall bench/seat are crumbling.

I'm guessing the shower stall was built when the house was -- in the early 40s. The shower pan appears to have been replaced before we bought the house, about 28 years ago. We're in southern California, so I'm fairly certain the pan was hot mopped.

The bottom of the bench looks like it wasn't completely tiled.

I don't know how much water has seeped into the wall.

Some questions below -- hoping for answers, and any other advice very welcome.

1. How can we determine if entire shower must be rebuilt?

2. Can we have tile removed from bench and below, have a new hot mop pan and drain installed, and then retiled? If yes, who does tile removal?

3. Does tile person or hot mop person replace drain, or do we need a plumber?

--Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower stall tile leak -- retro questions

Looking at your video, I would think it is advisable to replace the entire shower. I know it's easy for me to say, and you would have to live through the demolition process. But two things,
#1 you would know that the entire shower is done properly and with proper/up to date waterproofing methods, and #2 you would actually be free to design a shower exactly how you want it and not be limited to 70 year old colours/materials.

o

1. Replacing 1/2 of that shower is like rebuilding a "totaled" car. Can it be done? Yes. Should you? Probably not. It's just a little more work and material to have all new. If this were a historic home, the answer may be different.

2. Yes, but see above. If I were the tile guy, I'd prefer to do the demo.

3. You need both.

o

What's your thought on who does the demolition and rebuilding the wood framing -- the tile guy or a general contractor?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here