Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting ready to pull the trigger on MBR - wish me luck!

Posted by jrueter (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 17:08

So between work, health issues and money, we had to put off redoing the MBR last year. Now things seem to have stabilized and DH figured that we can swing the finances, so I can get excited about redoing our MBR!!!

Currently the MBR is plenty big, but fixtures are really dated and/or beginning to fail. Toilet was replaced a few years ago to Toto Drake (cant remember if I or II, but it is fine and will stay), but everything else is original to the 1984 build. We have a 84" double vanity, a toilet room and a giant garden tub/shower combo with sliding doors. And lots of cultured marble.

I would like a soft grey or taupe painted vanity with either marble (calacatta?) or charcoal granite or soapstone. Maybe hex or herringbone tile/marble floor, wood wainscotting, simple white tile in shower with maybe a grey cut pebble floor. We will probably skip replacing the tub as neither of us are big bath fans, and there is a tub in the other upstairs bathroom if needed.

Really considering a steam shower as DH likes to take LOOOOONNNGGG steamy showers and CA is enduring another horrible drought (although raining this weekend, yeah!)

I am thinking I might take advantage of the rainy weekend to do some planning. Any advice/encouragement? I am not a total novice as we redid the kitchen to the studs (with gw help, of course) a few years ago.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting ready to pull the trigger on MBR - wish me luck!

Good luck on your project. If you haven't read this thread, I recommend it. There is also a second thread imbedded in this one; be sure to check it out also, as it's much more comprehensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best/worst bathroom remodeling decisions

o

thanks for the links, olychick. They are definitely useful!

Now I am reconsidering some choices!!

o

Install a new electrical outlet very close to the Toto Drake. Sooner or later -- probably sooner -- you will discover advanced toilet seats or Washlet®s (registered trademark of Toto that has acquired the genericness of Band-Aid, Xerox, and Google), and the main impediment to join the future at that point would be the lack of the electrical outlet if you did not have one. It is a lot easier to add electrical outlets in the midst of a remodel than to add one after the surfaces are finished.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here