Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wall light fixture a Code Req over sink?

Posted by TG284 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 12 at 17:00

Thought this might apply more to bathroom than electrical, but apologize if I'm in the wrong spot..

I was planning to do small recessed gimbal lights over my new bathroom vanity. My electrician mentioned that the recessed lighting alone was not code and required a wall sconce or wall mounted light over this area... He mentioned he had learned of this not too long ago, is this common or accurate? If so, I know most commercial bathrooms do not comply to this.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wall light fixture a Code Req over sink?

I never heard of that, you can put them over a shower if you use shower trim

o

Could be a local restriction. I'd ask him for a reference. You can always call your local building department for clarification. Just tell them you're getting conflicting information and want to know the specific requirements for bathroom lighting, especially any restrictions around sinks. and also ask them for a reference. NEC (National Electric Code)? Local amendment to the NEC?

The only thing I'm restricted to is lighting in and around bathtubs and showers. Fairly standard stuff.

If your sink is next to the tub, it might fall under restriction for lighting within 3" of bathtubs. But that restriction is for cord-connected lights (table lamp for example), anything that's dangling or hanging, like pendant lights, track lights, chain or cable swagged lights, etc. The idea is if you are standing in the tub and slip, they don't want anything electrical nearby that you might instinctively reach out and grab a hold of. zzzzZZZZZZAP!

There are damp and wet requirements, but again, none of those pertain to sink lighting. At least not in my locale.

"Damp" is required over the bathtub or in the shower if water spray won't hit it. "Wet" is required if water spray will hit it.

I'd call your local building department. Get some return on your local tax dollars.

o

Just my 2 cents but I put in 3" hollegens over my vanity, (3) 50 wattts, in an 8th high ceiling over a single sink 68" long vanity. There are 2 more lights in the room that come on with the same switch.
#1 causes monster shaddows
#2 really not enough light. It's ok for general lighting, only time I wish there were more is when doing face stuff.
I did put in sconces as well but they are also too tall for my short self to eliminate the ewww and eluminate the me! But the room looks great! ; )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here