Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comfort height toilets for people under 6' tall--yay or nay?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 16:48

We are about to order our toilets and planned to get comfort height for all but our kids' bathroom, but heard from someone who has them that they are actually not comfortable. My husband and I are not incredibly tall, 5.5" and 5.11", respectively, and I wonder if it would be better for us not to get comfort height. I'd love opinions either way. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comfort height toilets for people under 6' tall--yay or nay?

I'm 5'6" and can't stand them. My DH is 5' 10-1/2" and is fine with them. A lot depends on how long your legs are.

There's nowhere in your town where you can't sit on an ADA-compliant toilet and try it?

o

I am 5'6" and I can't stand non-comfort height any more. I am actually ripping out all of my non-comfort height toilets in my FL home because they annoy me so much after getting used to the comfort height in the PA house.

o

I don't love them, but I am pretty small.--But I like the overall reliability of the Toto I had. My mother who was about 4'9'' by the end of her life needed them because she had trouble getting up and down.

Physiologically the lower seat is better for you.

You may want to do a mix and then you may have a favorite in one of the bathrooms.

o

My young children have never had a problem with comfort height. I think once you try it, you'll never go back.

o

I am 5'3". We put comfort height in the master bath and regular height in the hall bath. I much prefer the comfort height.

o

I am 5''6'' tall. We installed our first comfort height toilet in November. I am getting used to it but prefer the regular height. My mother-in-law who was around my height loved it. So I think as I age I will appreciate it more. My DH likes it but he is 6'6'' tall.

o

I'm 5'3" and DH is 5'8" and we very much like our comfort height Toto Soiree's.

o

5'4" & DH is 5'8" and we love our comfort height Kohler Wellworths (the new design). Standard height seems very low and awkward to us now. Mom & Dad (5'4" and 6'1" respectively) have both in their house--comfort height (Kohler Memoirs, Portrait & Devonshire) everywhere but the powder room (Kohler Memoirs standard height) and I swear it feels like I'm going to fall over every time I use the powder room bath--9 times out of 10, I'll just make the trek to the guest room bath instead so I don't have to deal with it.

As far as kids, our little one was 6 when we moved in with our comfort height toilets and I worried about that too. We opted to go ahead do comfort height even in the kids' baths and it has not been a problem at all. He hops up there 1-2-3 and that's it. I think you'd be fine with all comfort height.

Hope this helps!

o

I love the higher toilets, and higher beds too. Much easier on knees and thighs and back which becomes more important as you get older. We put a new one in our guest bath, and now both of us prefer it. We still have a regular height toilet in our soon to be remodeled master bath, and higher counters and toilet is on the must have list. I never heard the term "comfort height", but rather "ADA compliant". Comfort Height is a very descriptive term.

-Babka

o

We have taller toilets in two of our bathrooms and a shorter toilet in the third. Both of us almost fall over when we go to use the shorter toilet. Much prefer the taller ones.

o

A BIG yea for the comfort height toilet!
I am 5' 3" and absolutely love the height of my new Toto.

Seriously thinking of getting another for my guest bath.

o

We are a "mismatched" couple: 6'4" husband and 5'1" wife. We have a 1992 non-comfort-height American Standard 1.6 gpf toilet in our master bath (upstairs) and a 2010 comfort-height Toto Vespin II 1.28 gpf toilet in our powder room (downstairs).

The 6'4" husband has not sat down on the toilet in the master bathroom in 2-1/2 years -- not once. He probably never will sit on that toilet again. When the 5'1" wife needs to get up in the middle of the night, she goes downstairs to use the comfort-height toilet in the powder room. (The Inax Clessence advanced toilet seat downstairs may enter into the decision. The American Standard upstairs has a "regular" toilet seat.)

o

I am 5'3'' and dh is 5'9". we just put in a comfort height in dh's bathroom and LOVE it.

when we redo my bathroom we will do comfort height again.

o

I am 5'7" and dislike the taller toilet that came with our "new" house.

o

I'm 5' 5" and have a comfort-height Toto in my main bathroom. I somewhat prefer the regular height, but the c-height is fine. My mom, who is in her 70s and 5' 4" with bad knees, LOVES the comfort height and has trouble using a lower one. If you are 5' 5" and up and approaching the creaky-knees stage, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the comfort height.

o

I like the comfort height toilets. I am only 5' tall. It also depends on the model you choose. We have a Toto Carlyle comfort height in the main bathroom and a kohler cimmaron in comfort height in the basement half bath. I like the height of the Toto better. So yes, you should sit on different models and different brands if possible.

o

I think this is one of those personal preference things.

I'm pretty short, and I find the taller toilets very uncomfortable. Maybe as I continue to age I will change my mind. But as it stands right now I have managed to accumulate a whole bunch of creaky body parts (including a really bad back) - but I still hate the higher toilets.

o

Definitively a preference and a height thing.

I dislike the comfort height toilets. I am 5'6". There is a comfort height at at work that is 17"+ inches, my heels don't touch the floor! That bothers me.

I am used to the 14-1/2" toilet at my parents house and the 15" at my new house.

o

We are short, 5'1 and 5'7. Love our Toto Nexus in the master bath.

o

I dislike tall potties but not enough to care much. I would go to the potty store and do some sitting (clothed and not vacating, of course).

If you have a mix in your home and usually use a tall one, the short ones might bother you if you're on autopilot and misjudge the drop.

You just have to decide what's better--easier up and down, or comfort while seated. As you age, it might change.

o

Wow I never realized there were folks who did NOT like the comfort height - I thought everyone did.

With that being said, I just put in a comfort height, am 5'4" with short legs and bad knees. One of the best decisions I made in my remodelled bath.

As BABKA said above: Much easier on knees and thighs and back which becomes more important as you get older

o

We installed a comfort height AS Cadet toilet a few months ago. I'm 5'5" and DH is 5'10" and we both love it, as does my 82 y/o MIL when she visits.

o

There's some variance as to what's considered "comfort height" even within a single manufacturer. I find 17-1/2"h ADA height doesn't allow my heels to reach the ground - very uncomfortable - but 16-1/2" felt perfect. I chose a mid-grade Gerber compact-elongated commode (16-3/8" h) over their higher-grade model (17" h) in large part because that seemingly-trifling added 5/8" would have made it too tall for comfort.

The traditional low-height isn't good for my back. Won't call it "regular height" anymore since comfort-height toilets now account for over 50% of the US market.

o

I am 5'6" and my husband is 5' 11" and we just purchased a new toilet - Standard height. Unless you have an issue getting up and down I would avoid comfort height. It is unnatural and can cause hemorrhoids.

o

Aging in place will dictate us going with comfort height toilets - but I plan to have a stool around to "reposition" to best ergo for elimination - you get the idea...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here