Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jewelisfabulous

Yikes! Glass quotes for shower enclosure

jewelisfabulous
10 years ago

I'm suffering sticker shock! After reading, reading, reading all I could about glass, we solicited quotes for low iron glass (Starphire or similar) with a protective factory coating (Showerguard or similar).

The prices we've received for our 40"x50" shower enclosure are ranging from $3200 - $3800.

FOR REAL?

Comments (31)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Is this one wall with a door, or four sides?

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One 3/4 side wall piece and one door (two sides in glass, the other two sides are wall/tile).

• millworkman
    10 years ago

What size glass panels and what is the glass thickness?

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    10 years ago

3/8" thickness. The 3/4 side wall piece is 49"x60". The door is 30" x 82"

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry -- there is a 20"x60" third piece that connects the side wall with the door.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Yup, custom glass is really pricey! Our quote for just a door and an inline panel for the top part of a pony wall, (maybe 30" wide by 40" high) in 6mm (~1/4 or 2/8" plain ordinary glass not starphire) was $1200! We ended up changing the design, eliminated the pony wall, and bought 12 mm ~1/2" thick glass sliding frameless doors in a kit from Costo for $600. The kit came with a 60 X 30" base that we are not using, plan to sell it on Craigslist...

Installing that glass was a PITA, but am so happy now that it's in place. The equivalent doors in custom could have cost us ~ $2K. If money was no object I would have loved the clear glass, but unfortunately, money is an object...LOL, so just not an option for us.

• aliris19
    10 years ago

...funny, I was just thinking of mentioning the Costco door but thought perhaps it was too low-end for the OP and/or ignoring all the research that had been done regarding something special already?! I just saw that door you're talking about yesterday; I'd never noticed Costco selling such a thing before.

If you live in an area where there are several vendors it's worth shopping around. I found a huge variation in price available for glass when looking for a project a couple years back.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

I think that is a bit high myself as I would expect that to be in the 28-2900 range here on L.I.. Get more prices.

• razamatazzy
    10 years ago

Hi Jewel, I see you decided to get the protective coating.

My doors will be ordered in a couple weeks. I am still trying to decide if I will get that on my shower doors. What did you find in your research? I was wondering if it lasted forever, and if you would be restricted in what you can use for cleaning.

My door configuration is about like yours and my contractor quoted $1600 for 3/8" glass.

• cz9h3d
    10 years ago

LOL...saw the review on Costco.com for buying the shower just for the glass!

I'm doing a master bath renovation myself at present. Can I keep prices in check a bit by ensuring my shower is built to a standard size? It's about 4' x 3', but currently is just a bare corner (everything ripped out).

I just did a little looking this morning, the attached link is a local place, and $870 doesn't seem horrible compared to the comments in the thread. Of course the door is frameless, but the enclosure isn't, and I'd be installing myself. But if it's this or $2k to have someone come in and do it with less frame, I'll take the savings!

Here is a link that might be useful: Corner Shower

• raehelen
    10 years ago

cz9h3d, not quite sure how to interpret your LOL comment on the Costco glass.
    The one listed on Costco.com has excellent reviews (other than complaints about direction sheets) and for the model I would assume you were interested in, ie the corner 32 X 48, the only complaints were about the drain cover which of course wouldn't be used if you were buying it just for the glass.

But to be fair to the Costco glass (Hey, I don't work for Costco, but I am happy with our glass which is a completely different model here in Canada than what you guys have available in the US, for once something works in our favour, LOL, buying it in store costs $600 vs $1200 for you online, plus ours is a better more high end model), you are not comparing apples to apples. The shower you linked to is framed with glass 1/2 the thickness. So even for local glass places, you are not comparing the costs of equivalent showers. Local places can install the framed 1/4" glass too. I see that this is a local place for you, wonder if they would give you a price break if you picked it up yourself. Delivery for glass (even though advertised for free) is expensive.

If you decide to go for framed, I would recommend seeing framed in person first. I ordered framed for my basement guest bath, because it had to be custom made, and frameless was just too expensive for us. I had no problem with the chrome frame, but I was upset when I saw the black rubber gaskets all around each piece of glass. It was my only "Oh no, what have I done" moment! The glass installer didn't get why I reacted the way I did, he said black won't look dirty over time like clear would. I guess he was right, 5 years later, still looks like new, but I wasn't a happy camper at the time, cuz it just was not the look I was envisioning.

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

In my opinion, that's way too much money, but not atypical for something custom. You can get a very high quality two-sided glass shower enclosure for well less than $1000. I've posted a link to one example -- 34" X 46" -- at the bottom of this post. If you are wedded to exactly 40" X 50", something like the one in the link would work just fine if you simply built two small stub walls to move the enclosure out to that perimeter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower enclosure

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I would want a heavier glass in a frameless situation. 3/8" = 6/16" and just a hair over 4/16 which is a quarter inch. Every local glass company I spoke with said 1/4" had to have a frame, and we needed 3/8" or 1/2" for frameless. Size probably matters but our shower is only 3x4' with a 28" door.

-Babka

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

Babka-
    I'm not sure what your point is. 3/8" glass is 50% thicker than 1/4". The OP is talking about 3/8".

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Kudzu- I"m sorry I wasn't clear...I was addressing my comments to the above post from "cz9h3d".

-Babka

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

Babka-
    Thanks for clearing up my confusion...

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The news got worse before it got better: the third company's bid came in at $4200!!! Unbelievable. Fortunately, company #4 came in at a little under $2,000. Still a lot of money, but it certainly shows how much profit the first three companies built in to their bids. I'm checking references for company #4 -- hopefully, they'll check out well.

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

Jewel-
    Just curious...what part of the country do you live in with so many gouging companies?

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mid-southeast. :( All the companies were provided identical specifications, too. Amazing.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

I personally don't think where you live has anything to do with it. The more I become familiar with pricing, and we have been renoing/working on homes for nearly 40 years (I was a child bride LOL), the more I realize how important it is to shop around for pricing and quality of work. We replaced all the windows in this home 7 1/2 years ago (so prices could be anywhere now). I got 11 different estimates. Normally I don't bother getting that many for anything I am pricing out, but seriously every single quote was different, so I just kept going. Turns out we went with my last quote, not the cheapest, but certainly not the most expensive. The price I was quoted included installation and varied from $7,000 to $22,000! We went with a $11,000 quote. It was a combination of being happy with the price and the superior quality. I ended up having issues (that's another long story), but everything was finally resolved 4 months after initial install.

I am in Canada, the Pacific NW, I really don't think price variance is regional.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

AND to further illustrate my point...LOL...I used to be a mystery shopper. One of my assignments was to get a quote for minor body work at a local autobody chain. I went to 7 different shops with the same car, same dent, and got 7 different quotes. The lowest estimate was exactly half of the highest! This was for 7 different shops of the SAME company! If I hadn't already been convinced of the value of shopping around, that did it for me! (And I was paid well to find out! LOL)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

There is no way possible that the number under $2000 is for "Showerguard" included. Maybe a aftermarket applied knockoff but definitely not Showerguard.

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The lowest bid is for ClearShield. I haven't read up on that brand yet.

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alrighty then....ClearShield looks like it's not at all in the same ballpark as a baked on coating like Showerguard. It also requires a monthly application of their cleaning product (one year supply = $199.00). Ugh.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Exactly.........

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update -- I ordered the Starphire glass with the ShowerGuard coating from company #4. Our general contractor has worked with all the quoting companies including #4 numerous times and had no concerns about their service or quality of product. The overall cost with installation is $2800. MUCH better than the prices from the other three companies! Whew!

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Congrats great choice.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Jewel, I'd love to read about how it goes :)

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I have a frameless glass by-pass door for my 60" wide shower. Well, there is an outer frame that holds the two sliding pieces of glass, but the glass itself has no frame. I just measured it and it's a mere 3/16" thick. It's been in daily operation for 9 years.

We bought the shower door kit from a local independent home improvement store (later bought out by HD). My BinL was carrying one of the doors in from the garage when there was a loud boom. He swears the glass didn't flex and he didn't bump into anything. Fortunately he wasn't hurt, but I found pieces of glass for years after. The store replaced everything and no problems since.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

3/16" is common on the siding doors and being tempered glass it did it's job the way it broke.