Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimi78_gw

Double Vanity choices/sizes

mimi78
14 years ago

IÂm hoping someone here will have suggestions on my dilemma. We have often looked to this board as a great resource in doing much of the DIY updating of our 1920Âs home. Now we are in the process of renovating our master bathroom, this time with the help of a contractor.

Our current plans include switching the plumbing around to accommodate a double sink. The bathroom is long and narrow, approx. 5 ft wide by 10ft long (with the shower not included as it forms an L shape in the back). Even with moving the plumbing we will have a tight space for which to fit the double vanity so that the end of the toilet (on the opposite wall) will not be close to the vanity and there will be enough room to walk through to the shower. A 60 inch vanity would work but we are concerned that space will be tight with the toilet opposite. Our contractor suggested having a custom vanity 55 inch vanity built, but that will cost us of course. Our other option would be to choose a 48 inch vanity that accommodates a double sink. Our local fixture shop has assured us that they have seen this done, but we are concerned that the space will be tight when we are using the sinks.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and what did you do? Does anyone out there have a 48 or 55 inch double vanity? Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• suero
    14 years ago

Have you priced semi-custom vanities? Some manufacturers will cut down a larger cabinet for a small upcharge. The cabinets I've used, Adelphi, will build stock cabinets to the inch.

• megatha
    14 years ago

I used masking tape and marked out the location of vanity and placement of sinks in my bathroom. Anything under 60" is very tight with two sinks. You are left with very little counter top between the sinks and a couple inches to the edge from the sink. There is not enough space to even put a cup. Yours may be a stand alone type vanity where neither side is up against a wall, which may not look or feel as tight.

My incorrectly sized 57" vanity top was already ordered by the bath contractor and I tried to figure how how to make it work. I just could not and am going to reorder a 65" vanity to have the two sinks. I would rather have a longer, single sink that left you some counter space but couldn't change mine at that point without losing alot of the drawers.

The bath shows have shown some beautiful oblong. single sinks on vanieites. They are not like vessel sinks but are set down into the cabinet so only an inch or so is above the vaniety. Candice Olson had one on her bathroom show that was a beautiful blue glass. I tried to find that sink but the show was in Canada and they do not give out suppliers.

If you do go with two sinks, maybe you could use 16" sinks, leave off the side (backsplash?) area and possibly use the single faucets rather than the 8" spread faucets.

• mimi78
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. We did do the masking tape thing actually, which is what started us on this idea that it would be too tight. If we did the 48 inch or even the 55 we would probably have smaller sink bowls, I think 15 x 12 oval is what was suggested.

IÂm curious about the semi-custom idea though. I went to the Adelphi website and it looks like they only do kitchen cabinets, so I assume you mean customizing a kitchen cabinet base and then ordering the top separate? IÂm not too keen on ordering something like this online though, unseen. Would LoweÂs be able to provide a similar semi-custom experience?

The only other option we can think of is two smaller vanities or two pedestal sinks. I have seen these in magazines and itÂs not that I donÂt like the look, I just donÂt want to do all this renovation and spend all this money and have to settle for something thatÂs not quite as functional as we would like. If we did this we would also have to figure out something for storage.

Our trade off currently is that if we do the custom vanity then we will only tile the shower, not the half walls of the whole bathroom. I like the walls tiled so I donÂt really want to compromise on this, especially if we still might not be thrilled with the size constraints in the end. This is so frustrating!

• suero
    14 years ago

Adelphi does bath cabinets, too. We have them in our bath. Yes, just as with kitchen cabinets, you have to order the top separately. What I liked about the Adelphi cabinets is that I could specify all sorts of profiles for the door components, choose from a number of wood species and finishes, and get self-closing, full extension dovetailed maple drawers for the same price as stock cabinets of another manufacturer.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1398841}}

• dollfanz
    14 years ago

Here is what a 54" double sink vanity looks like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanity

• megatha
    14 years ago

It really depends on how much counter space you need. Pedestal sinks look great but leave little room to put things on the edge of the sinks. You also lose the storage area in the vanity base. Some people put small shelf or drawer units between the sinks. I guess we have alot of "clut" and need storage.

You could finish the walls and paint them, then when budget permits you could install the tile. Walls aren't hard to tile but a vanity would be alot of trouble and expense to replace if you didn't like it.

• lagrant
    14 years ago

Just throwing a different option at you...

Have you considered a trough sink? Wet Style makes many that are 48" wide with 2 faucets - Home and Stone carry most and their website has a lot of pictures. Some are just the sink that you would have to place on top of a vanity, similar to a vessel sink. The cabinet below would have to be a bit wider, but you could work with that.

I am attaching a link to Brown Design that shows a 48" Wet Style trough sink - looks FAB!

HTH!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Trough Sink

• mimi78
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! I know it sounds like we have some room to play with but itÂs because itÂs not very wide that we are having these issues. Thanks for the suggestion, I hadnÂt thought of a trough sink but IÂm not sure how I feel about that anyway. Our house is a traditional 1920Âs tudor so it would have to fit the style.

Our contractor may have some up with a solution though, to keep the toilet where it is and add a 60 inch vanity next to it on the same wall (rather than opposite walls as we originally planned). This would mean the vanity is across from the shower door, so we have to go home and measure how much clearance we would have between the door and the vanity. It does seem like a better solution though, since we may have some more room to play with in terms of the shower size too. Even better, this would actually save us a good chunk of money since we wouldnÂt be moving the toilet and we could order a standard size vanity. Thanks for everyone for your suggestions! Fingers crossed that it all works out!

• caboosenj
    12 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I JUST went through this same thing. There are not a lot of good choices for small vanities with a double sink, so I put together a list for anyone else who is looking for something similar. I hope it's useful to people!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Best Small Dual Sink Vanities

• citygirl78
    8 years ago

This is very helpful all around. I am in a similar situation right now. Would love to know how this original bath turned out and see caboosenj's link above! (It seems to be inactive now...)

If anyone has a source for a traditional double vanity under 58" please share! My house is a Cape and the more modern vanities don't seem to fit in.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz