Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvn2oxfrd_gw

In need of Master Bath floor plan help!

luvn2oxfrd
11 years ago

We just finished our hall bath 10 months ago and I swore I would not remodel anything significant for a long while. Then my mother decided to redo her 1980s bath and I got bitten by remodeling bug. *sigh*

Our master bath is ugly. Truly ugly. And poorly laid out. It is long and narrow with a small stall shower, an oddly placed tub, a looong vanity and two (?!) doors.

I would like to maximize the space and, of course, I want everything: large shower, double vanity, free-standing tub, toilet behind a pony wall and custom linen cabinetry ;) My husband, on the other hand, wants to chop off the awkward length, turn it into a walk-in closet, turn the tub area into a large shower and reduce the need to move as much plumbing as possible.

Can you help me find a middle ground? (or disregard my husband entirely and tweak my plans?)

Here is the floor plan for the current 18.5 x 7.5 master bather:

This is the plan my husband came up with:

I like this one:

or possibly this:

I do, however, recognize my inadequacies when it comes to floor plans. Any insight or guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I am sure there are some fatal flaws...please point them out! Am I looking for too much? I can do without a tub, but I would like to make the most of the space. If it helps, do away with the double doors into the master and bump out the bottom left of the bathroom...I need to keep the existing window in the bottom right of the first drawing as it is one of only two small windows in the master.

I am open to all ideas!

Comments (6)

• TSG1104
    11 years ago

Sorry, I'm not very good at floor plans either. We left everything where it was in ours because they layout worked for us. But, the first thing I thought in looking at your current layout was that I'd get rid of the two separate doors into the master bath and replace them with a set of double doors into the bathroom in the center of that wall.

I think it would especially look great if you do the free standing tub or large shower opposite. If you want more light in your bedroom, you could even do french doors.

This post was edited by TSG1104 on Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 20:33

• luvn2oxfrd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

French doors leading into the bathroom...I like that! And the added light for the bedroom would be welcome!

• sundownr
    11 years ago

The size of your bathroom reminds me of a place I stayed in South Africa. Not very wide but very long and a very nice floorplan. I loved it and had to take photos so here it is.

This first one is standing at the bathroom door.

{{gwi:1398776}}

This pic is a step or two into the bathroom. The toilet is behind that little wall on the right. The sliding doors lead to an outdoor shower that has 4 walls but no roof. I'm not suggesting that you do that but your shower can be there. :) We were there in winter and it was pretty cold in that shower. This place was close to a town so the sliding doors were there for security reasons. If this bathroom were in the bush that shower would be much more creative.

{{gwi:1398778}}

This one you can see the toilet and shower.

{{gwi:1398780}}

Here is the opposite end of the bathroom. The wall behind the toilet in the left foreground, the door into the bathroom is next and last but not least is the free standing tub.

{{gwi:1398782}}

I don't know the dimensions of this bathroom and the wide angle lens shows it a little out of proportion but the tub tells you it can't be too wide because it's wall to wall.

Hope this helps!

• luvn2oxfrd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

that last picture is exactly how i feel in my bathroom...slightly claustrophobic and as if the bathtub is across town. my bathroom appears to be slightly wider. i do like the toilet behind the wall out of sight and the vanity on the long wall.

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

I like your 2nd variation with some minor changes. The shower is extremely big. I would shorten it, and put the toilet next to it (where your linen cupboard is in your first variation). Do you need to keep that window in the shower area? If so, will it be a waterproof window?

• luvn2oxfrd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I do need to keep the window. It is the front facade of the house. I can't just board it up without it being noticeable.

Is there any way to make the shower in its current position bigger, to avoid moving the toilet and having the window issue?

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath