Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksblase

Master Bath layout

Karenseb
11 years ago

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I am helping my daughter get ideas for a new master bath layout. I have included her layout as it is now and we have brainstormed other possibilities. Her bathroom has a pocket door entry from her bedroom on the wall that is 88" long. The wall with the shower and toilet is 99" long. Her main complaint is the small shower (33"X35" interior and extremely lowered ceiling over the shower (tiled ceiling- we don't think anything is up there!) Also she has a wasted cabinet next to the toilet.
She can not enlarge the room or change window and door locations.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• Karenseb
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are some other options we came up with.

1. A 42" X 42" neoangle corner shower with 5" wall on the short sides. She might want a roomier shower, but she gets a longer vanity , 54" or 56".

2. A 34" X 42" prefab unit by Advanta Maxx
    http://www.maax.com/en/utilitypages/productdetail.aspx?productID="A3D0B1D7-0A5A-4274-80EC-380C8C5B18C9>;
    Seemed big enough to me, but not as much to my husband. It looked well built and you could tile the walls. The base came with the two glass side panels and door. It could fit in either direction in that corner.

3. The 34" X 60" shower was a hit with my daughter and would be an alcove base with either slider door or pivot door and a stand alone vanity about 48". Perhaps with a 30" X 60" shower with a pony wall on the vanity side, she'd get a longer built in vanity?

4. She gets two small vanities, but the space seems cramped and it is a 42" neoangle shower.

• Karenseb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here are some rough layouts listing 1 thru 4 options. Would more people like two sinks and smaller shower. A larger vanity and smaller shower or a larger shower and smaller vanity?

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

I would prefer one sink and a larger shower. Of the options you show, the lower left one is the best.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

I vote layout #2 or #3. They were the setups I was going to suggest. Not positive if you'll have enough clearance in front of the toilet though. Have you considered elongating the shower toward the door (i.e. in layout #2, the shower would rotate 90 degrees). You could do a ~45x50 shower in that scenario.

Hope this helps!

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

#1 would minimize the movement of your plumbing. But I'd consider a 42"x42" or a 48"x48" neo shower. You'd get a larger shower in both dimensions and the clipped corner will still open up the room visually and provide an easier path to the toilet.

With a 48" neo, you'd have minimal knee room on the toilet. 99" wall minus 48" for shower leaves 51" for the toilet and the code required 21" of knee room in front of the toilet. But the clipped corner neo may make the minimal knee room seem less restrictive as it'll only be a partial obstruction.

#1 also gives the option for the largest vanity. You're probably aware that 30" is the minimum width for a toilet; 15" to either side of the toilet centerline is the minimum allowed by code. You have it wider, which is nice.

With #3, I like it, but you're moving more plumbing. But I'd widen the shower to a minimum of 36". You can make the wet wall thick enough where you can use a portion of the toilet side of the wet wall for a between-the-studs pantry-like storage. Rolls of TP, toilet cleaning supplies, etc. I'd omit the built-in bench and have a moveable stool/bench.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I like #1 with a bigger shower, 48x48. I would get a toilet that only comes out 27" from the wall. You may be able to squeeze a bigger vanity in there too- I'd go as long as possible.

• Karenseb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all your opinions and ideas. They were great.
    The pantry storage idea in #3 is neat. How deep would the wet wall next to the toilet have to be to accommodate that idea?.
    Could we move the wall pantry to the right side of the toilet if she put the shower plumbing in the wall next to the toilet?
    Or if in #3 she cut her shower to 36 X 48", she could maybe fit a 12 linen cabinet between the shower and toilet?

I still like the neoangle shower in #1 also. A 48' X48" neoangle would be great. I'm just not sure how it would feel with the shower right next to the door when you walk in.
    Perhaps we need to look at more pictures. Usually the pictures are of large bathrooms- probably because it is so hard to get pictures of small spaces!

I think a toilet is too tight 15" from a wall. In your opinion, does being 15" from a vanity feel okay?(not too tight)

Why do you think a built in bench does not work well?

Thanks,
    You all have been so helpful and I love the variety of ideas and opinions.
    Karen

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

"The pantry storage idea in #3 is neat. How deep would the wet wall next to the toilet have to be to accommodate that idea?"

You'd want the stud bay of the wall to be deep enough to accommodate what you want to store in there. Example, 5" deep will work for rolls of toilet paper and bottles of cleaning supplies. So a wet wall framed with 2x6's and trimmed out would work nicely.

You can work around the plumbing in the wall. Or you can go with an exposed shower system, where the plumbing is on the wall inside the shower. Here's an example:

"Could we move the wall pantry to the right side of the toilet if she put the shower plumbing in the wall next to the toilet?"

That was my first choice. But I discounted that location due to the pocket door possibly causing interference.

"Or if in #3 she cut her shower to 36 X 48", she could maybe fit a 12 linen cabinet between the shower and toilet?"

Sure, the variations are endless. But your restrictions are set up by the toilet space and the vanity. For the toilet you have a 30" code minimum. 34" is about the minimum I'd recommend, and 36" is better. Now the vanity. Usually 21 or 22" deep.

36" + 21" = 57" on a 99" wall, that leaves 42" for the shower wall. If that wet wall was 8" thick, that leaves 42" - 8" = 34" of wall for your shower entry door. A typical shower door might be 28" wide. If you centered the door, that would leave you with 3" from the vanity to the edge of the shower door, and on the inside of the shower you'd have three inches of wall before you hit the corner with the wet wall.

So it's a balancing act.

But addressing your 12" wide cabinet. I'll toss out a variation that I did in my master bath. But first, look again at your numbers, and don't forget you already allocated 5" for that wall. So even with the 34" wide toilet space, then a 12" wet wall, that leaves you with a 36" by 53" shower instead of 36" by 48".

Anyhow, what I did in my master bath is I wanted a divider between our vanity and our toilet. A pony wall looked too narrow. So I built a cabinet about 14" wide, about 48" high, and about 33 or 34" deep. The drawers are 30" deep and on 30" slides. They pull out like a pull out pantry in a kitchen. When the bottom drawer is pulled out, it's divided into two vertically; one side faces the toilet, the other the sink. The side facing the toilet has toilet and cleaning supplies. The side facing the sink acts sort of like a medicine cabinet.

So again, there are all sorts of permutations.

"I still like the neoangle shower in #1 also. A 48' X48" neoangle would be great. I'm just not sure how it would feel with the shower right next to the door when you walk in."

Is it just the fact that there is a wall? Or is it that it's a glass shower wall? You could make it a solid wall for privacy if that is an issue. I will say that it's not something that would bother me either way.

"I think a toilet is too tight 15" from a wall. In your opinion, does being 15" from a vanity feel okay?(not too tight)"

Agree. In addition to my comments above, yes, an adjacent vanity can be less restrictive than an adjacent floor-to-ceiling wall, the vanity is less imposing. You could go 18" from the wall and 16" from the vanity to the toilet centerline, for a 34" space.

"Why do you think a built in bench does not work well?"

If I never had a built-in bench, I'd want one. But I've had them. and I've built them. They usually end up as a storage shelf. the tile can be cold to sit on. If they are not built well, they can leak. And until you demo them, they are indeed permanent.

A movable bench or stool, usually teak, or sometimes a plastic seat from a medical supply house, are just so much more versatile. My opinion. You want to sit under the shower, you can. You want to sit near or away from the shower, you can. You want to bath a loved one who is infirm, you can. You want the seat out of the shower, you can have that too. It's too big? Get a smaller one. It's too small? Get a bigger one. Versatility. but again, that's my opinion.

FWIW, my own shower is 5' by 8'. Nope. No built-in bench.

• Karenseb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mongoct
    Thank you for your help. Those are great ideas.

"I still like the neoangle shower in #1 also. A 48' X48" neoangle would be great. I'm just not sure how it would feel with the shower right next to the door when you walk in."
    your reply
    --- "Is it just the fact that there is a wall? Or is it that it's a glass shower wall? You could make it a solid wall for privacy if that is an issue."

my thoughts
    -- Actually, I would not mind the 48" X 48" neoangle shower if it had clear glass. I was trying to save her from having to wipe down the shower glass after every use. Do you think a textured glass (like a hammered or rain design would look okay? Or would it close the room up too much?
    -- Or would a 42" x 42" neoangle shower work if she had 8' walls on all sides with a glass door ? That might look as big as the 48" X 48" glass enclosed shower, although it would not feel as big when you are in the shower!

-- Or maybe she could do the side walls as pony walls with clear glass in the top. The pony wall could be 5"deep about 30" high with clear glass. It would not be as much glass to clean. With the glass set midway on the 5" deep wall, they'd have a little more elbow room.

I hate to see her build a shower and have to spend more time cleaning it than the time it takes to shower!

The shower bench does sound like a potential problem, even though they look great.
    She could tile one of the wedge or shelf footrests if the only reason she wants a bench is to shave her legs.