Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris11895

Slightly OT: Slate Flooring (x-posted)

chris11895
13 years ago

Hi All,

I also posted this in the flooring forum, but no one has responded yet so I thought I'd try here as well and see if anyone has done this with a bathroom...

I have searched around and can't seem to find what I'm looking for :-) I was wondering if anyone has seen subway or brick size tiles of a dark gray slate? I'd like to do a herringbone pattern in a mudroom and I know I once saw a picture of this but can't find the picture anywhere! I also can't seem to find any examples on-line. If anyone has any pictures or links to this, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• User
    13 years ago

I'm sure it exists but if you can't find it, but depending on the quality of the slate, maybe you can cut 12 x 12's down to size.

• chris11895
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think that may be the route we'll have to go. I haven't found them pre-cut in the ten million hours I've spent on-line searching, so I assume they don't exist! Thanks :-)

• chris11895
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Yillimuh! I've toyed with doing a bathroom in slate and am so happy to see your pictures! How is working out for you? Is there any special maintenance?

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

The only subway-shaped slate I've seen sold is little 2 by 4's and smaller; 1 by 3's, 1 by 2's, etc. All on mesh.

There might be others out there, but I've never really looked, I usually do what everyone else wrote...cut my own.

Slate is easy though, it cuts like buddah.

• emilymch
    13 years ago

No special maintenance with the slate tile - it looks great. We sealed it before grouting, but other than that, we haven't done anything special with it.

I meant to say above that a herringbone pattern with slate subway tiles sounds fantastic! I think it will look really wonderful. I love dark grey slate. We are planning to move in a few years, and will probably end up in a house that needs work. If we do, I plan to use more of this slate! I love it so much.

• blondelle
    13 years ago

This isn't real slate but no one will ever know. It's by Crossville in the Strong series and the color name is Nero. No issues with sealing, shaling, leveling the tiles, or any other real slate problems. It comes 6 X 12 already cut. It's more gray than the brownish color shown, in person. As you can see, it looks pretty darn good and is extremely strong tile, hence the name. It's shown below in another mudroom.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• blondelle
    13 years ago

Forgot to mention the Crossville tile is also textured just like slate.

• chris11895
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, blondelle! This is why I love this site, everyone is so helpful! Now I can show my husband and architect I'm not crazy :)

• aliris19
    13 years ago

I've put slate in a standup shower and just love it. It's a Mexican slate with lots of colors and red blips in it; it ranges in color from green to red to grey. I put it on the floors of a laundry and bathroom and then cut large 12x12's to 6x6s for the shower. I also used a strip of expensive slate-and-glass little tiles at eye height and in a square pattern on the floor.

I can't tell you how happy I am with the slate! I was worried it would be rough on the feet, but it's just perfect - a little bit of scrubbly is good, but it's essentially smooth-feeling, so it's delicious and cleaning all at once! There really isn't any special maintenance required.

I sorted the colors and laid them out in a general pattern before they were laid down. It's not necessary of course, but I like the effect, less overall random and more directional. DH says it's like there's a "beach" over back by the shower where it's redder (he's a geologist). The 12x12 floors are on a diagonal, the shower straight-up.

We've been using these rooms 6 or more months now and I'm still thrilled with them. The big floor tiles are definitely not very flat as they weren't installed very well, but it's still OK. I was worried about tripping with laundry baskets and the like, but it has not been a problem.

I highly recommend slate, and getting it rough as opposed to like smooth tile, is fine too!