Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marys235_gw

How to build a shower correctly?

marys235
11 years ago

I am meeting with a tile guy tomorrow to get an estimate on tearing out my shower and rebuilding it, and re-tiling my bathroom. It will be torn out to the studs, I imagine. I was told that the pan is not sloped correctly, leading to water pooling around the edges, which has led to a lot of mildew. Knowing my house, I expect it was not built correctly to begin with, and no telling what they will find when they tear the tiles out.Can anyone point me to a simple explanation of how a shower should be constructed, so I can tell if this guy knows what he's doing? I know a lot of showers are not built correctly, like my current one. I know there is a Kerdi system, that some people use, but some people don't like them. And the pan has to be sloped correctly, and water runs down the walls, into the mud bed to get to the weep holes. I've read so much, now I'm just confused. Also, does using a solid surface shower pan change things? I know you set a solid surface pan in mortar instead of using mud, but how does the water from the walls get to the weep holes? Please forgive my ignorance, I am just not good at home improvements.

Comments (7)