Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass mosaic tile thinner than wall tile

Posted by marys235 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 16:06

I ordered some glass mosaic tile to use as an accent band in my shower and a backsplash on the vanity, it just came in yesterday, and I was surprised by how thin it is, much thinner than the tile I will be using with it. Is that normal? Should I tell my tile guy to put something behind it, so it will be flush with the rest of the tile? If so, what would be best to use? Is it going to hold up as well as a thicker tile? I guess I should have noticed how thin it was from the sample, but I just didn't pick up on it. I just liked the colors. Now I have buyer's remorse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ragno Samba mosaic tile

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass mosaic tile thinner than wall tile

Just cut a piece of 1x2" board about 12" long. Cut an "L" shape on the end that will ride over the thicker tile, which you put up first. Scoop in some thinset into the "band" area with a margin trowel and "adjust" or screed it with the board.

Let it dry. NOW, you have a slightly raised area upon which to tile the glass and it will be the same height as the field tile.

o
RE: Glass mosaic tile thinner than wall tile

what my tile setter did was to use some of whatever the backerboard was 1/2 the thickness of the tile and set the border tile on the backer before he put it on the wall. then he installed the border already completed and it came to the same thickness of the wall tile

Good Luck
Rachel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here