Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tile help! what is wrong with my shower floor?!

Posted by stephcaldwell179 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 16:02

What are all these dark spots on my shower tile floor? It's a marble tile purchased from Lowes. I've used every cleaning product (even heavy duty stone and marble cleaners) and nothing has worked. No, it was not sealed initially. I tried cleaning it and then sealing it and it did nothing. What should we do? It's a new home and tile has been there for about 5 months now. It looks so bad in person! Eek!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tile help! what is wrong with my shower floor?!

It looks like moisture trapped in the floor.

o

We would have to know more about how the floor was laid.

Rubber liner BETWEEN a pre-slope and a final slope OR a Surface Applied Membrane over a single mud bed.

o

Couple of threads on forum with same issue

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower Pan Moisture Issue 1

o

Another thread with similar issue.

Jump on this immediately with the builder while your warranty is still in effect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower Pan Moisture Issue 2

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 6:28

o

Oh boy. We have the identical problem. Look at my thread to see good advice. Nobody wants to redo our floor, unfortunately.

o

three3apples, can you please add a link to your thread. thx.

o

3apples - how do i find your thread?

o

Here you go:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg1214041713571.html

Ours got worse since I took this picture in 2012. Nobody wants to fix our floor, unfortunately.

Please do post how you resolve yours and, when something happens with mine, I will do the same.

o

Unfortunately, the ''Fix'' is to redo the shower. Do it with a different waterproofing system. A painted on membrane on top of a proper preslope will let porous materials dry out because it only gets wetted very shallowly. Or you can live with it as is until you are sick of porous natural stone and ready for the faux.

o

Did you see the soap scum problem in AZmom's recent thread? Sure looked like water too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here