Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower niche in load bearing wall

Posted by jagermeister (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 16:01

I'm in the process of designing my shower and would like to have a wide ~30" shower niche. However, the wall that the niche is going into may be load bearing (running perpendicular and down the center of the overhead attic trusses). I want to go ahead and frame out the shower niche as if the wall is load bearing.

In addition, I'd also like to install some recessed medicine cabinets across the bathroom in a 2x6 wall that may or may not be load bearing. I believe it's 2x6 to fit the 3" vent stack for the toilet.

Can someone point me to tables/charts stating what size header I will need for the different scenarios? I'd be removing one stud for the niche and one for the medicine cabinet and the walls are second story interior walls beneath an attic.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower niche in load bearing wall

The size of the header is determined by the weight it carries. The manner of your roof framing and type will determine how much weight a load bearing wall will carry. It could be carrying roof weight, or it could merely be carrying the weight of the ceiling joists and drywall.

Tables are for experienced professionals who can judge those factors themselves. You need a structural engineer to determine them for you. A quick consult should not run you above $500 for a simple issue like that. It's worth it for your peace of mind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here