Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can You Recommend A Good Shower Unit for a Small Space?

Posted by amck (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 16:01

We've created an above-garage guest suite at our lakehouse for our growing family. Now it's time to install a bathroom. The designated area is a small space with a sloped ceiling.

DH & SIL, experienced in DIY, will be doing the work. My job is to source and order the toilet, sink and shower. So far, I haven't found many smaller sized shower units that have received good ratings. Any ideas or suggestions?

Budget is a concern in this project. We're not looking for fancy bells & whistles, but we are willing to pay for quality components.

Please also chime in if you have suggestions for a toilet or pedestal sink.

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can You Recommend A Good Shower Unit for a Small Space?

DIY a mud pan and tile. But double check the legal clearances that are required for bathrooms and living space in a sloped ceiling area. As well as the insulation requirements. It's a project that's often not doable without putting in dormers for the required head room.

o

Thanks, hollysprings. I was drawn to the idea of a one-piece unit over tile in large part because of the ease of cleaning. No housekeeper here - just me!

If we were to go with tiled walls for the shower, is there a particular grout or method of sealing that you would recommend for easy cleaning. The last time I had tile in the bathroom was in our first apartment 36 yrs. ago. It was a nightmare to maintain.

o

I love my Kohler cast iron shower base. It's 48" on the side with threshold, and 36" deep. Maybe too big for your space, but it looks great and is easy to keep clean. Plus it feels more substantial than the acrylic shower units I've encountered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here