Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Use 3 x6 for Herringbone Floor? Pics?

Posted by Tamko3 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 15:37

I am obsessed with doing a herringbone floor in the MB. However, my DH does not want to cut down large tiles to smaller ones (convinced the edges won't be right). Anyway, I am stuck with 3 x6 tiles but have found limited pics on this size for flooring. Anyone use this size and/or have pics of it? Thanks! Tami

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Use 3 x6 for Herringbone Floor? Pics?

If you google "3 x 6 herringbone pattern floor" on Houzz you will
find pictures.

o

You say you are stuck with 3x6 tiles. What size do you want? You can use large tiles without cutting them down.

o

here is my 12x6 tiles that I cut down from 12x12. I rented a nice tile saw from HD. I calculated how much to take out for the grout line so that they would line up like this. There are other ways to layout different sized tiles too as you will see below.

Someone on the forum had a small format herringbone in the last 6 months I believe. It was a light marble and beautifully executed....time passing as I look for the post...Found it :
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0117342315133.html

Here is a picture of my floor:
 photo IMG_2852.jpg

Here is a picture of my 2x4 backsplash in my kitchen:
 photo IMG_1559.jpg

Here are some other herringbone that I've collected because it is such a nice pattern that I've always been fond of:
 photo Colorful-bold-zig-zag-pattern-849x1024floor.jpg
 photo imagesoldwall.jpg
 photo darkwoodelegantfloor.jpg
 photo 57da217ec996whitefireplace.jpg
 photo herringbone_subway-tile-herringbone1catandgreen.jpg
 photo walkerzangerflooringbath.png
 photo addcbcfc4b5dkitchenfloorwhite.jpg
 photo herringskeleton.jpg

Aren't these all great pictures! ?

o

Love the pix Enduring!

o

Thanks Enduring. I have been following both your kitchen and bath posts for quite some time! Gorgeous work that you have done. You should be quite proud. Do you think 12 x 24 tiles would be too big?

o

Boy That Size Would Be Fun To Think About!

I don't know if I've seen it laid out that large. It might be pretty cool.

I just did a search and I found 2 very nice examples of, what looks to be, 12x24 herringbone.
 photo herringbone12x24_zps098b7cd2.jpg

photo herringbone12x24possibly_zpsd1212f1a.jpg

o

Thanks Enduring--you've been great. I only found 1 pic myself--the top one. I basically have two choices 3x6 and 12x24. I will probably go with the smaller tile. I will post when all is done. Tami

o

What is your reasoning for using the 3x6 vs the 12x24? Is it the scale? or fear? or other? I am curious.

o

It's the tile size that's available. My DH is convinced that the tile shouldn't be cut.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here