Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prbetsi75_gw

shower bench!

prbetsi75
10 years ago

So originally we were going to have the GC do a shower bench. But then I decided to just buy one and found one made from Teak....and I absolutely love it! Love the contrast with the tile and it just fits so perfectly! It's just so stinkin cute!

Comments (11)

• lisadlu
    10 years ago

This is great! Where did you buy it? I think this would work for me.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Perfect match with your shelves! I haven't used mine yet, still not sure how to maintain/look after the teak bench to keep the wood looking nice. Do you know anything about that? (I realize you've just bought it, but maybe you came across care tips? :>)

• prbetsi75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lisadlu, I bought it from Amazon. Reviews were great.

http://www.amazon.com/ASSEMBLED-Corner-Shower-Sitting-Storage/dp/B009I8IFOI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

raehelen, the description says, "Its solid teak construction is naturally water, mold, and mildew resistant. Our proprietary deep penetrating stain provides added durability and weather resistance. Our stain has mold, and mildew inhibitors" but reviews said that you should just squeegee after every use to keep it lasting a long time so that is all I am going to do. :o)

This post was edited by prbetsi75 on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 17:00

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

>still not sure how to maintain/look after the teak bench to keep the wood looking nice

prbetsi answered your question about that particular bench, but for plain natural teak you can buy teak oil that you apply when it starts to look grayish.

prbetsi75, that bench looks perfect with your shelves.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

perfect match!

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Thanks prbetsi75. I still have to buy a squeegee for this shower...I may post a request for suggestions.

Writersblock, I have a lot of teak furniture...in fact the vanity for this BR is also Teak (not installed yet). I use teak oil for my inside furniture, but I have a fair amount of teak garden furniture and while researching how to maintain that have come across conflicting advice/info. For every article that says to use teak oil, there is one that says not to! I've never had a shower bench in teak before, and as this sort of bridges the outdoor/indoor dimensions, I really have no clue how to maintain that beautiful teak colour. Unfortunately all of my garden teak has now 'greyed', and I'd like to avoid that happening with my shower bench.

Would love to hear from users who have been able to keep their teak shower bench looking as new.

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

Love your shower floor tile! It looks very similar to the one I picked out for our bath remodel (Jinshan Bone P/F 5 cm). Is that what you have? Do you recall what color grout you used?

• prbetsi75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The tile is ABK Fossil in cream. I don't remember the grout but I will try to find the bag (or receipt) and check.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

The greying on your outdoor furniture is from the sun - just like it would do to cedar, pine, even pressure treated wood.
    A number of years ago, we owned a boat. All the decks and rails were teak. We lightly sanded and reapplied marine varnish on them each spring and never had any greying. They looked freshly done all season long. It's the sun that's harder on teak than water.
    Our head (bathroom) had a teak floor, including in the small shower. We applied marine varnish on it too.
    Try marine varnish. It's made to protect against water. (You may have to lightly sand and recoat after 4-5 years, like we did with our floor).

• prbetsi75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jewel654, the color of the grout is called Birch Power Grout from TEC.

This post was edited by prbetsi75 on Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 10:19

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

Thanks!!