Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mchembree

Deep soaking tub to fit into standard alcove?

mchembree
15 years ago

I'm looking for a deep soaking tub that will fit into the 3-wall alcove that currently houses our standard-size, no-frills tub. I've done a search here and on the web, but so far not coming up with much.

I'm 6' tall, and sick of the "most of my body is freezing out of the water" experience offered by standard tubs. But my floorspace isn't very flexible. Maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist? If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Judy

Comments (23)

• mungo
    15 years ago

After some research I determined that the Koehler Archer 60 x 32 offered a good compromise for soaking and showering. I think it is around 20 inches high, but the overflow is positioned unusually high allowing a deeper fill for the size. It is acrylic and fairly inexpensive with a tile-in flange. If you purchase it make sure you get the special drain kit for the unit as it is not a universal design.

• repurr
    15 years ago

I have an Aquatic Hotsoak 52 which has an optional alcove flange available. It is 59.5 X 31.5 X 23 with the overflow at 20 1/4'. There is an inline heating unit that will keep the water warm. We are in the middle of the remodel, so I haven't had the pleasure of installing it yet. We looked at the Archer too, but went with the Aquatic because of the heater. They also make larger models. Be aware that you have to drop in a dedicated 20 amp line for this puppy. It looks very well made. The literature states that it holds 65 gallons to overflow.

• mungo
    15 years ago

When you look at other options you should consider whether this will be a tub-shower or strictly a tub. If the latter, then you don't need to compromise on depth. For me, I was concerned about making it too hard for shower people to climb over the edge. Again, I though the Archer was a good compromise since its effective depth (because of the high and wide overflow) was greater than its actual depth. But hey, if you don't need the compromise -- don't!

And of course, an Archer can be shipped by Home Depot to your home for under $500. A lot of these others are great tubs, but they'll run more like $1000-1500.

• pamelas_kitchen
    15 years ago

Check out the Toto Clayton (model number ABY782Q), very deep. I ended up choosing the Archer but the Clayton is much deeper--I actually decided I didn't want something that deep after reading a post about a very deep tub draining someone's water heater! My husband likes to refill the tub as the water cools, so that's one thing I thought about. But this was a serious contender. It will fit in a 3-wall alcove.

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

We ordered the Kohler Archer. The 6ft model holds 70 gallons, seems pretty deep. I think it would be a good option for you and attractive as well.

• mchembree
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to each of you! I am very grateful for all your suggestions. I'm going to check them all out.

Yes, it will be a bath/shower combo. But I'm not concerned about the step-over height issue. My husband and I are both 6' tall. Kids (if they are allowed in to use it!) are tall too -- teenage son is 6'5" and daughter (11) is going to be getting up there too.

The hot water consumption is more of a concern. But I think I'll just have to learn to live with that issue if I want to come up with a bath solution that's deep enough to seem inviting for me!

Thanks very, very much.

• pamelas_kitchen
    15 years ago

If your tank is big enough, I bet you won't need to worry about the water issue. Even our moderate-size tank is big enough for a long, soaking bath--I don't want to throw you off on that issue. We had other things to take into account--our tub is really in a 2-wall alcove, and there will be a cabinet behind it, so on balance I just decided a less-deep tub would allow me to have more storage space. Choices! But that Toto really does look good.

• User
    15 years ago

I have the Kohler Devonshire in my garage hopefully going in tomorrow. It is really deep also. The overflow is 17 inches from the base. I am not sure how my 9 year old will get in as a shower-he will need a ladder. The Archer was my other choice and yes it needs a special overflow (it is toe activated too)

• flseadog
    15 years ago

I have the 6' Archer and everyone comments on its clean lines and good looks. We haven't had a chance to sample it yet because our build is not finished. It looks enormous so I think a 5' Archer would be a good solution for you. Just a word of caution on the acrylic tubs in regard to color. White acrylic is not the same white you would expect to see with your porcelain fixtures. To my eye it looks a bit "creamier" and when it was first installed I thought I had ordered biscuit or some off-white by mistake. But, the box was still at the construction site and I could confirm that it was actually a white tub. So, if you are picky about matching whites try to choose other things that won't emphasize the different acrylic white. It still bothers me a bit because I notice the color difference but everyone else in my family either doesn't notice or doesn't care. HTH.

• davidro1
    15 years ago

I have a 49" by 49" deep corner soaking tub. When you are seated diagonally you can sit up with straight legs. Lie down and your upper body is covered in hot water.

• jigg
    15 years ago

I have the same problem as you in regards to 3 wall alcove and limited space. We had it down to a Kohler 5' Tea-for-two (cast-iron) and a Neptune Bora 60 (acrylic). We went with the Neptune. It is not a traditional shaped tub so it might not work if you don't have enough room on the wide end. I will add a link for the Neptune that has fairly good pictures and the specs. You can go to the Kohler website to see a picture and specs of the tea-for-two. Both tubs come in several sizes and the Neptune has whirlpool options.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neptune Bora 60

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

I'm thinking of shaping my own to fit my tall hubby and short moi. Playing with a step design good for showering or fill to any level fitting the bathers comfort. Personally I like to float. Also, Ca could experience another drought, so I do not want to waste water. So I'm thinking the step design to float rather than lay down. Not sure which way needs more water. Also for handicap, I was playing with the idea of the chair wheels to move down the sides of the steps so guest can completely relax and float, free from all pressure. Japanese tubs are often upright and deep, is that something you have tried?

• arothm
    5 years ago

I am reviving this old thread to see if any of you have had cracking issues with the Archer. Some reviews on HD say cracking is a problem. Thanks!!

• rebeccamomof123
    5 years ago

I’ve had my Kohler Archer for 3+ years and it gets daily use as a shower and a tub. No issues whatsoever. We love it!

• Camille Gray
    4 years ago

Overflow height is only listed at 15" for the Archer, not deep at all

• PRO
    E3 Planning
    4 years ago

Great thread. I'm 5"11 and my husband is 6'6" so I'm also looking for the deepest 5' tub I can get. Thanks for the input! I'm researching the Toto currently.

• Camille Gray
    4 years ago

So far the deepest I've found is Cetra by Jacuzzi, it says 17 7/8 inches to overflow.

• HU-420361810
    3 years ago

The Jacuzzi Cetra 60x32 soaking tub is 16.3 inches to the overflow valve. The 17 7/8 is to the top of the inside of the tub. The Cetra is 20.5 inches high on the outside, only 1.5 inches taller to step over than the Archer. Jacuzzi has a lifetime warranty. The Kohler Archer is 15 inches to the overflow valve. It only has a one year warranty, plus I have read many reviews about the Archer cracking. Why gamble with a Kohler, when they only back their quality with a one year warranty?

• Camille Gray
    3 years ago

We ended up with the Cetra, it is way deeper than our original all in one fiberglass unit. I'm only 5'1", so anything deeper would practically require a stepstool to get in!

• Kristen Comer
    3 years ago

Did the Archer fit in a standard door opening?

• mchembree
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We ended up going with the Kohler Underscore. It won’t through the (standard narrowish 1945) bathroom door and if the plumbers had any trouble installing it, I didn’t hear about it. It’s quite deep for an alcove tub. Very pleased with it so far.

• mchembree
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I meant “It fit through the ...”.
    Autocorrect!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths