Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
add shower to tub - do i have to remove tile?

Posted by try-it (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 15:22

I have an old cast iron tub in almond color in good condition. I want to add a shower spout. The ceramic tile
extends about 20 inches above and surrounding the tub. Will I forever regret it if I add some kind of shower thing above the tile and don't remove the tile? I'm spending about 5 grand on new cabinets and granite and just have that sinking feeling that I'd better remove the old tile and make it all look new-how hard is it to remove ceramic tile? help...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: add shower to tub - do i have to remove tile?

Yes, first of all you need to waterproof behind that wall. Tile just applied to drywall in a tub area isn't designed to be waterproof.

Although this is directed towards a shower only, this does show the proper layers on top of the raw studs. Don't forget the insulation in the cavity.

If it's been previously splashed by any tub bathing, I'm betting that you will find mush behind the wall. Also, not every tub is designed to serve as both tub and shower. It will need an integral tile flange to serve as a tub/shower.

The little turned up lip is the tile flange, and your tub needs to have one to serve as a tub/shower. If it doesn't have it, replace it. Tubs are really cheap.

o

Removing tile is very easy. 30 minutes with a hammer and a Wonderbar should make short work of it. The harder part is putting tile back in, up as high as needed for a shower, including the most important part: waterproofing. It's not rocket science, but it is important to do it right, as live wire oak has outlined.

You basically need to pull out the drywall, put up cement board, paint Red Guard over top of it, then tile on top of that. Alternatively to Red Guard, you can put plastic behind the cement board as the barrier. Just don't do both or you'll create a moisture sandwich.

o

Thank you very much. It's so tempting to do a half-way job but I know I will regret it. I know my wall is sound because I'm the only one using this bathroom and don't splash much. Will wait until I'm motivated to to it right!
Thank you again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here