Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

pendant help needed!

michoumonster
11 years ago

Hi all,
I am planning to hang a pendant above my 30 inch vanity. It is a small bathroom, about 8 feet by 5.5 feet. What size pendant would be the most appropriate? We have 9 foot ceilings. i was thinking about hanging a 4 inch pendant, around 75 watt, but maybe it will be too small?
There will also be a can light above the toilet, so the pendant will only be needed to light the vanity area.

Also, when choosing pendants, should I make sure it has a damp rating? Just there are not so many options with damp ratings, so wanted to know what everyone else did..

Comments (9)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I suggest taking a plastic grocery bag and stuffing it with crumpled newspaper to make it about the size of the light fixture you're considering and then have someone hold it where you want it...it gives you an idea of how the real one will look in terms of scale....

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie, thanks for the suggestion! After I did that, I think 6 inch will work best. the 4 inch felt a little small..

So here are a few options. This is a pic of my bath

Please vote on which light I should do!

6 inch schoolhouse pendant. This is not damp rated, but seems enclosed.

malibu pendant. this was listed for dry locations only, so not sure it can be used.

green glass pendant. this one is 8 inches, but looks kind of delicate, though i am unsure if the green glass will make everything look green.

• enduring
    11 years ago

I like either of the first 2 pendents. I like the middle one the best. Have you looked at Hubbardton Forge? Here is a link. They are damp rated to the pendant page. The single lights are near the end of the list. There are several that I like. I have a semi flush in my kitchen and I LOVE it. They are made in the USA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hubbardton Forge Lighting

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks Enduring! i will check them out.

• enduring
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention that your bathroom looks beautiful.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks enduring! I am still waiting on grout and need to figure out what color to do on the vanity and tub panel.

any ideas/suggestions? DH wants likes the espresso wood look, but I was thinking i should paint it something lighter to make it feel bigger since it is a small bath.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Do you like high contrast? The espresso will create more drama I think. The light color more mellow. I think either would be very doable. What color is your tile? Is it the ming green marble? Take a look on Houzz for tons of pictures, sorting them using your concepts. I have linked a search on espresso cabinet ming green marble and got a few hits. I really like some of them. The last one on the second page I think is beautiful with that maroon dark wood with the soft light fresh green. There are some examples of light and dark cabinets in this search.

Here is a link that might be useful: espresso cabinet ming green marble

• fnmroberts
    11 years ago

This is a rather poor photo of our Powder Room via cell phone which may help with your size reference.

Mini pendants are 3.5" square x 3" high, hanging from an 8-foot ceiling. Vanity is 26" wide. Lights are low voltage halogen, dimmable and provide very good illumination in an approximately 4' x 6' room.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

fnmroberts, thanks for the pic. that does help a lot with reference.

enduring, thanks for the link. my tile is very close to the color of ming green marble. the feeling i want to have in the bath is freshness. do you think the light or dark would both be ok to capture that feeling? i also do like high contrast of the dark, but not sure if it will still feel fresh.