Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
220V momentary switch/jamb switch for hair irons in drawers?

Posted by marcolo (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 14:47

This is actually for my kitchen, but if anybody has installed an outlet for a hair dryer or curling iron in a vanity drawer, you may have a manufacturer name I could use.

I'm looking for the equivalent of a closet light switch so that when a door is open, power is available to an appliance, and when the door closes, power goes out. Someone suggested some of you folks may have done this for hair dryers or irons stored in vanities.

Ring a bell? Any names for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 220V momentary switch/jamb switch for hair irons in drawers?

what you want is called a "momentary switch", specifically a normally open momentary switch, which allows power through unless the button is being pushed, as when the drawer is closed. I've used 240v button switches but they were small electronics items not designed for a load over 3 amps or so, not the 7 to 15 amps a hair dryer or curling iron would need.

o

oh, duh, didn't read the heading, you already know what they're called.....

I'd try the big switch and wiring devices companies first like Hubbell, Leviton, Pass & Seymour, etc.

o

Thanks. I'll google.

o

You have a "220 V" hair dryer?

In the USA?

Most are 120 V, and get there somewhat ridiculous power ratings by assuming 130 V for the supply.

All you need is a 120 V AC switch.

Some are downright small.

If you use a 24 VAC transformer like a furnace and a relay to control the power it gets a low easier to run the control lines and find a small switch.

You are still left with finding flexible cord to get120 V to the drawer though, and a serious problem if anything goes wrong (like a broken switch).

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 13:42

o

Some switches I've used are rated for both 120v and 240v - it's just a cutoff that disconnects wires, not something like a dimmer or movement sensor where it would have to be designed differently for different voltage.

I have seen 240v haircare devices in the US, mostly aimed at the salon and barber shop market, to get over the 1800w or 1875w that is the absolute limit for 120v or 125v 15 amp devices, which is what most residential hair dryers use.

In addition to the companies I mentioned earlier, i'd check Lutron.

o

And yeah, I'd try to isolate the switching from the motor/heater so you can use a small low-voltage switch and thin wiring

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here