Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower under a skylight?

Posted by tishthedish (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 14:44

We are renovating our master bath which has a large skylight in it. I thought it would be nice to have the shower under the skylight, but is that asking for problems in terms of mold, leaking or anything else? We live in the northeast, just in case that info is pertinent. Thanks in advance for any help/ advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower under a skylight?

The larger potential problem (my opinion) would be a chance of condensation in the winter, with the cold condensate then dripping down into the shower.

There certainly are a lot of variables; the thermal quality of the skylight, moisture removal (vent) in the shower itself, how close the skylight is to the shower (high ceiling or low ceiling), etc.

Skylights in the shower? It can be done, and it has been done. I gutted a friends bath in MA several years ago and installed a skylight above their shower. No issues.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here