Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

4" backsplash behind vanity

Bunny
10 years ago

I know that 4" backsplashes done in the counter material are no longer popular in kitchens. But what about behind bathroom vanities? Esp. now that they're a whopping 36" high? I really don't want to think about tiling that wall, but there needs to be something to protect the wall from all the water.

Comments (31)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I think it depends. What is the counter material? Could it be other heights besides 4"? Why no tile?

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

We did a band of our accent or border tile over the sink in our guest bathroom. I think it's 3", same as the width we use on the shower walls. We like how it looks and ties in with the shower walls, and we like the protection it affords the wall directly behind the faucet (where water tends to splash and puddle).

We tiled up to the ceiling (over the sinks) with accent/border tile in our other two bathrooms. We thought it would give a more dramatic look to what are otherwise small, fairly simply designed bathrooms.

If you do a search, you can find pics of our bathrooms on this forum.

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

I'm doing a 4" backsplash behind my vanity sinks made out of the same granite as the counter. I am having them shaved down so they aren't so thick and bulky.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

debrak, I don't know what the counter will be yet, but probably a very light still granite, marble, quartzite or quartz. IOW, I don't really know. :) I don't want a wall of tile. There will be enough in the shower and on the floor. I don't want a feature wall, just a calm, low-key bathroom.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Our new one is 4". Our old one was 6" and the wall to wall mirror sat on it. Now we have a framed mirror and it would look funny sitting on the mosaic backsplash. So, I think it is a design thing and you probably should draw up some scale dwgs to see how things will look with your other choices.

-Babka

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My current counter, with integrated sink, and 4" backsplash is cultured marble. I will NOT be getting more of that.

I also currently have a large vanity-wide mirror that sits on top of the backsplash. It actually doesn't look that bad. Nevertheless, I don't know what I will be doing mirror-wise. I plan to either have a 3-part medicine cabinet with hinged sides behind the sink, OR a large mirror behind the sink and a recessed medicine cabinet on the side wall. I must have a mirror setup so you can see the sides of your hair.

A shorter 2" backsplash of the counter material (thinner) would be okay. I'm pretty sure I don't want tile there, unless someone can steer me to a photo that might change my mind.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I did a 4" backsplash with my new bathroom vanity. I LOVE it! The vanity is 60" at finished height of 36" and 21" deep. The counter is carrara marble.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think the short matching backsplash behind the vanity is fine. Especially when they are free standing or furniture-style. They present the issue of where to start and stop tile, and kind of "re attach" something that is supposed to have a free standing appearance back to the wall.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Mine are just like enduring's (in Ceasarstone).

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Enduring, you're just taunting us with pics of yet another gorgeous bathroom that you have (will have)! LOL. Can't wait to to see it all done!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Ok then I would run the counter material up at least 4" maybe more. I depends on how low the mirror is. Do you want it up to the mirror? Endurings looks good but some look too thick and bulky.

I think you will have to pick out the counter first and then decide from there.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

enduring, that's what I'm talking about! My vanity needs to stay between 56-57". It will fit into the corner, so I assume I would carry the backsplash around on the short wall? That's what I have right now.

BTW enduring, is that a single door under the sink? Have you finished the bathroom? Would love to see the other elements you chose.

• jules8
    10 years ago

Enduring's are beautiful. I don't like the thick granite as a backsplash and my granite finisher would not cut it thin. So I tiled with the same accent tile I used around the tub.

This post was edited by jules8 on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 7:50

• enduring
    10 years ago

Linelle, it is a single door under the sink. I debated if I should use drawers or a door. My plumber said a door would be easier for him :) I have a pullout inside the area. I will be putting an LED inside with an infrared on/off switch. I just installed one on the cabinet by my new W/D and am very happy with the setup. The electrician hardwired for the LED's but they aren't all in yet. The cabinet by the W/D I retro fitted an LED myself after I realized that light would be very helpful. I had an outlet installed already inside for the iron, so it was very easy to set up a plug in type LED bar.

I am just now getting a good start on the tile in the shower. I will be gone for 1 1/2 weeks so it will be on hold.

Good luck on your selection.

• tim45z10
    10 years ago

The backsplash looks fine. I would be more concerned with an electrical box right where the mirror needs to be.

• analyst-therapist
    10 years ago

In general, many people are opting out of the backsplash and putting fancy tile back there. Just remember that a traditional backsplash is very useful for.... Well....splashing water at the back. Don't forget the practicality aspect of it,

• enduring
    10 years ago

Tim45z10, lol, that outlet will be inside my medicine cabinet that I am having made and wall mounted.

Analyst-therapist, I keep reminding myself that the backsplash is something to protect from water. I hope the little 4" will be enough, but I just didn't want a tiled backsplash this time around, too busy for me in this room. I was aiming for fewer details it the tile department.

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

I used a 4" granite backsplash in my recent bathroom remodel. I like it!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Juddgirl, lovely setup. I really like the symmetry too.

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

Thanks, enduring. I like the symmetry too :-)

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

juddgirl, love your bathroom. Details?

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

Thank you, Linelle! If you click on the picture it should take you to more views.

After living with a terribly old and ugly bathroom with water damaged walls for many years, it was really nice to finally finish this room (although we still need to trim around the window and door). Everyone on this board was really helpful when I was planning the remodel.

The granite is white river, sinks are Kohler Archer, cabinet hardware and toilet roll holder are RH Chatham, hooks and train rack are RH Vintage, arched hand towel bars are Ginger, lights and mirrors are PB, floors are filled and polished travertine, and the glass/travertine detail tiles in the shower are from Home Depot. I think the sink and shower fixtures are Moen.

One thing I really love is the hidden medicine cabinet that looks like a framed picture.

This is what we started with, right before we gutted it down to the studs:

This post was edited by juddgirl2 on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 3:53

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

juddgirl, thanks, it's really beautiful. What about your vanity?

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

Linelle, we found the vanity at Builder's Surplus. This was a DIY project and we were able to buy this at the store and install ourselves.

We wanted it to be built in rather than a stand alone vanity and it's actually 3 separate pieces - 2 side sink bases and 1 middle drawer bank - but you can't tell because we bought the trim pieces to finish the front. I'm happy with the price and the quality - it seems solid, has dovetailed drawers and soft close doors and drawers.

• gabethan
    10 years ago

Juddgirl - how much wall space is there between the too of the backsplash and bottom of your mirror? Thanks!!

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

gabethan - there's just under 6" between the top of the backsplash and the bottom of the mirrors. They're just a little high for my 10 year old daughter but she can pivot them down when she needs to.

This post was edited by juddgirl2 on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 2:27

• leela4
    10 years ago

juddgirl-(sorry to hijack)- do you have a photo of the hidden medicine cabinet that looks like a framed picture?

And am I correct in understanding that the mirrors are just mirrors?
    TIA

• KevinMP
    10 years ago

I did something rather unconventional that was by necessity given the wainscoting and the small return on the right bumped-out wall by the toilet, but it turned out great, and I think it protects the areas that need protecting. I used 2cm of the leathered antique brown granite from the countertop but I made it 5.25" tall to fill the height/void in the wainscoting pattern.

No regrets.

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

kevinmp - beautiful bathroom!

leela - I've posted a picture of the concealed medicine cabinet below. I purchased it from: http://www.concealedcabinet.com/

Yes, the two vanity mirrors are just mirrors, although they do pivot up and down. We couldn't use recessed medicine cabinets on this exterior wall.

• leela4
    10 years ago

juddgirl-thanks for the info and the link.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner