Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheltieche

white floor tile for white bathroom

sheltieche
16 years ago

With all popular earthy stone travertine tiles locally am having trouble finding tile for my white bathroom/ contemporary design, clean straight lines, greenish opaque glass doors on vanity, brushed nickel finishes, white painted walls/. Am looking for off white ceramic or porcelain 12x12 tile diagonal layout. Decided against all white tile as feel it will need extra maintenance to keep clean.

Was looking at Crossville Satin sheets and Powdered sugar but unable to bring clear large picture on my dispay. Anyone can describe? Any other tiles to look for?

Comments (14)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

I'll see if I can get the series name tomorrow for this tile from Dal, but the white tiles in this floor are stark matte white:

Oh, and don't let the date on the picture scare you-- they still make it. I just did another bathroom floor exactly like that today with the very same tile, so it's still available. :-)

• annie1971
    16 years ago

Do not, repeat, do not do the powdered sugar in the bathroom. My new bathroom floor tile is Crossville Powdered Sugar. It has a matte finish, exactly what I thought I wanted. But it shows every drop of water, every foot print. Also, the tile sample doesn't accurately show the whole picture. I really thought it was just white. If you look closely, very closely, at a large tile, you'll notice a very slight yellow/umber-ish coloring in spots. Over a large floor area that becomes more apparent and coupled with the matte finish, it looks grimy. It's not because white shows dirt more. It's because of the finish and the true non-white color. Even the tile man called the store because he thought it was defective. Very disappointing after anguishing for so long over tile choices.

• dontcallmeshirley
    16 years ago

I chose Trikeenan's Modulus line of procelain tiles in Lily White for my floor and shower/tub surround. They are one of few porcelain tiles rated for the floor. I love their colors and classic simplicity. They come in various sizes - 8x8 and 9x12 the largest. They offer discounts on overstock and seconds and are very accomadating over the phone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trikeenan Tileworks

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

They are one of few porcelain tiles rated for the floor.

SHIRLEY you jest!! :-) Porcelain is just about the toughest flooring surface you can find, and there are very few that you CAN'T use on just about any floor you desire, INCLUDING the garage, or front walk!! :-)

• annie1971
    16 years ago

Who's Shirley?

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Look at the person's name on the post just before mine. :-)

• dontcallmeshirley
    16 years ago

Bill,

First, I apologize for not making myself clear. There are many porcelain floor tiles but it was my experience that when I found a porcelain wall tile I liked it was not rated for the floor. Second, excuse me again, but don't call me Shirley.;-)

• annkathryn
    16 years ago

I used a very inexpensive matte white tile for my kids' bathroom floor. It may have been around $2/square foot, if I remember correctly. I can get the brand name if you're interested.

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you very much for responses. I would love to check out all leads possible. It is amazing how little of white floor tiles stores carry around.
    I grew up in the house which had similar tile as on Bill's checkered floor and that house was 100+ years. Tile was in excellent shape and easy to maintain.
    Annie, thank you for letting me know about Powdered Sugar tile. I was thinking about mixing it up with Satin Sheets. But my fixtures are all white with grey pigment so putting tiles with warm yellow undertones is not an option. I did found couple of stores that carry Crossville tile and am going there to check it out.
    Annkathryn I love how nicely you placed tile with small accents. Works wonders and looks cute and charming. Is it easy to clean? I am somewhat worried that every speck will be showing on such tile.
    I am sure this forum seen plenty of people agonizing over their tile/paint/ fixtures... fill the blank/ choices...
    am feeling that floor tile is going to pull my design together ...so pressure is on...;)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

The tile is from the Sierra Series, and the color is Rainier 1500, linked below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dal Sierra Series

• annkathryn
    16 years ago

lindalana, my floor is very easy to clean although it doesn't get a lot of use (2 teenage boys). A quick spin through with a dust mop is all it takes, once a week.

• ccc123
    16 years ago

annkathryn --
    Love your white floor tile! Do you know what brand it is? Or is that the tile Bill V is talking about?

How do you keep your white grout looking so white?

The bathroom is beautiful!

• Lori Billy
    15 years ago

I have been pricing out the octagon/dot black white tile and it is going to be $10/Sq. Ft. which is more than I want to spend on my boy's bathroom. Is the Daltile Rainier tile cheaper?

• colleencoleman_att_net
    13 years ago

annakathryn,
    I'm trying to redo my bathroom...Could you please tell me the name and where you found that white tile ??? I LOVE it!!!
    Thanks so much for any help you can offer me!!
    Struggling to find a white tile like yours!!
    Thanks so much,
    COlleen