Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anmicki_gw

Marble countertop for vanity help

anmicki
11 years ago

I am hoping I can get some help here. We are in the midst of a complete bathroom remodel. Its our biggest project to date and I've been obsessed with planning. These forums have been a huge resource!

My current question is with the vanity. I envision a white vanity with marble countertops. I have found on ebay a style that I like for approximately $1400 that includes EVERYTHING. I thought it may be cheaper to find a remnant and have the top fabricated but I have been getting quotes just for the fabrication running from $250 - $970. This is not including the cost of the remnant, faucets, undermount sinks, etc. So my question is:

Is there a benefit to having a slab fabricated vs. purchasing a ready made piece. Would the marble likely be a poorer quality purchasing a ready made all in one product either off the internet or from a big box store?

Money is definitely an issue but I also want to take into consideration quality and if splurging for the fabricated top is really worth the added expense I am willing to go for it.

Comments (5)

• djlandkpl
    11 years ago

It really depends upon what you want for a finished product. I just finished a bathroom renovation. I did a 60 inch White Rhino counter with undermount sink. All in, was $1100. The fabrication, templating, installation was $475. My biggest challenge was finding a remnant in the right stone and size.

The benefit to having it fabricated is that it's a custom job and the end result should reflect it.

• anmicki
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your input! I'd found a lovely callacatta remnant to use for only $75 but unfortunately when we went to pick it up found that one section had been cut in such a way it would be too narrow. So now I'm back to square one. I was quoted $870 for a custom carrera top but factoring in another $700 or more for cabinet and sinks I'm now just wondering if I'd be better off buying one of the "all in one" vanities and just purchasing a better quality faucet. It would only need to sit against two walls. Hmmm.....

• rjr220
    11 years ago

Might you have a home-recycle center? My nephew got enough marble for his kitchen from a home recycling center -- for not much money at all. They were large slabs from a business that he was easily able to get fabricated for his kitchen.

• anmicki
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmm..I'm not sure if we have a home recycle center. Not that I've heard of. We have a habitat for humanity restore but its very hit or miss. I've been trying to check there occasionally.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

The problem with buying through the internet is that you have no idea what the stone really looks like. It may not look like the carrera you're looking for (it will certainly not be calacatta). Restoration Hardware is reliable stone-wise, which I can say because you can actually see the tops in person at stores. I'm sure Pottery Barn is the same. But they're much more expensive than what's typically bought through the internet.

I got a great deal on my vanity through the internet, and it came with a vein cut travertine top. I didn't want the top that came with it because it wouldn't have matched the rest of my bathroom (calacatta gold), so I removed it and substituted with a remnant from a local marble yard (I went with leathered antique brown granite, which was probably about 800 including the backsplash). The other issue with the internet is that they do not always come with backsplashes, and may not even be offered with side splashes. If you need either, and want it to match the vanity, that will create issues down the road. You'll likely never find a good match.