Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Attractive safety bars!

jakkom
12 years ago

Some designer finally combined usefulness and utility to come up with something more attractive than the typical safety bar. The TP holder especially might be just what we need in a year or so for MIL's bathroom.

These are from the Gold Violin catalog, the link is to general search where you can see/order them from the website. I'm not associated with this company, but have bought a few items from them as we're in our 60's and MIL is 84 this year.

Hopefully this product will inspire other companies to also come up with new and good-looking designs in this area!

TP holder/safety bar:

{{gwi:1397059}}

Shelf/safety bar:

{{gwi:1397060}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Catalog general search: safety bar products

Comments (20)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

These are moen. They have a whole suite of towel bars, etc. that all go together. I just wish they were available in a finish other than brushed nickel:

Here is a link that might be useful: moen press release with images

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Whole room pic from Moen:

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

I forgot to say, those are available many, many places. So if you have a coupon or discount code for someplace else, check the model number there.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Just noticed you can get the shelf for $36 from amazon and the toilet paper holder for $39, so definitely shop around. Didn't check the price on the towel-holding grab bar.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

those are very nice looking for a very reasonable price!

good for them!

I know that when i broke my kneecap it was difficult getting on/off the potty. that bar would have helped a lot!

• jakkom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

writersblock, if these prove popular I'm sure they or some similar products will show up in other finishes. I would think there will only be an increasing market for this kind of safety accessory.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Yes, I agree, jkom51. Of course, the problem is, as always with finishes, what's actually available when you need it.

BTW, if you haven't seen them there are also some soap dishes and corner shelves from other manufacturers that are also grab bars, but they're very much more expensive than the moen line.

• jakkom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think it's a Murphy's Law of remodeling, that half of what you want, which you saw beforehand, isn't available any longer or won't be in stock until after you're finished - LOL!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Just an update that I was in Lowes yesterday and they now have a big display of grab bars that includes all of these. They are very nice, and would go pretty well with stainless as well as BN, but alas not so hot with chrome. Prices were pretty decent, too.

• Debra Vessels
    12 years ago

I found a Polished Chrome Moen Kingsley, many different sizes and finishes, very Traditional if you like that style. Goes with the Kingsley collection. HD, and many web sites, including builders.com prices vary, I think builders had the best prices.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Do you have a photo, DebraV? I do think those are the best looking grab bars I've seen, but since what I want for fixtures is more of square deco-moderne look, I'm not sure how well they'd blend.

• LMM170
    12 years ago

A company called Allied Brass has decorative bars. Not sure who sells them. You might Google the name.

• sable_ca
    12 years ago

Jkom51 - Thank you so much for posting this! We are in the midst of a BR total gut and remodel; the look is fairly traditional. Going on from your link I ended up at another site that sells faucets directly, and discovered that Moen has an entire line of the Kingsley collection, with good-looking towel bars, shower trim, and a cute faucet style that is perfect for us, plus grab bars for inside the shower. One could also use the grab bars as towel bars anywhere. The only issue is that the grab bars come in limited finishes, and all the other Kingsley that I'm ordering is in antique nickel (exactly like satin nickel). This will not be an insurmountable problem, lol. But if you had not posted this thread, I would not have found the perfect solution for our BR!

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

thanks for this post! i was thinking of adding some safety bars in the guest bath for our aging parents/inlaws. this got me looking for polished nickel grab bars and there are not too many out there. I found jaclo has this finish and many others (though price-wise is super ouch!), also ginger/motiv has some nice looking ones too, and kingston brass.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Just an update. I see that Moen now have these in chrome and something called "old world bronze", too, and they've got a new even more discreet small corner shelf grab bar coming out soon:

• triciae
    11 years ago

Here's another company with a nice selection of grab bars in a good assortment of finishes.

We're in the middle of a bathrom total remodel & are installing grab bars (although not from this website - got ours from the company that made our shower door).

I agree, we'll be seeing more & more choices available over the next few years as babyboomers get older.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Grab Bars & Accessories

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

I'm glad this was bumped up as I just ordered the Moen toilet paper holder in the first picture ($34 from Faucet Direct, $39 at Lowes). I didn't realize there were now other finishes besides brushed nickel because my preference was to use chrome. Maybe I can exchange...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

I'm not sure whether the chrome is available yet or not, annkathryn. I was in Lowes and it was listed on the display, although I didn't see any in the bin. On Moen's website it says July, but it's not clear whether it's just out of stock right now or not in production yet.

• dljmth
    11 years ago

Smedbo makes some really attractive modern ones. The Air and Living lines are nice. We just received our Air order and it seems very well made, sturdy and sleek. They are however, a bit pricey. Kohler makes some nice ones too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smedbo Grab Bars

• susiemw
    11 years ago

I am so happy to see this thread. I'm finally getting to the point in my bathroom remodel that I can start thinking about these things. I would not want to put institutional looking grab bars in my pretty bathroom! Thanks for these great ideas.

Susan