Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning with vinegar

Posted by melle_sacto (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 14:02

I am just curious -- is vinegar considered a harsh cleaner for use in the bathroom? I like it for cleaning off hard water spots, and I do rinse it w/in 30 minutes (max). Some surfaces tell you "not for use with harsh cleaners", but they don't specify what those might be. And they recommend "brand name" products, but I usually do not buy those (with an exception -- I do buy Cooktop Magic for the glass surface range)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning with vinegar

I've been wondering the same thing and like to use it for some things. I'd call the mfr if they have good tech support or ask a few CS reps, companies etc.

It is great for hard water spots. So that tells you something. I have read not to use it on grout. I think it's ok for an occassional deep clean. Tile men use it as a first recourse mild acid cleaner before using the heavy duty stuff.

I refrain from using it on my enamel sink and haven't asked yet.

Have you tried Method All Purpose? America's Test Kitchen tested it and found it on par with disinfecting cleaners but without the chemicals and toxic hazards. I don't think vinegar is as good in that aspect. Don't know if super bugs are a concern with Method's disinfect propertied. I think it took some lime deposit off something yesterday but will have to check it out further. It is a remarkable cleaner! Even burnt cooking stuff melts off your cookware.

o

There are a lot of surfaces in a bathroom. Some can take vinegar and some don't. Most of the brand name cleaners will state on the container that they are/are not for use on "natural stone". Porcelain and ceramic can take just about anything. What do you have?

Most manufacturers have websites/contact us links where you can ask a more specific question.

I have man made products (chrome and Caesrstone/porcelain) and phosphoric acid removes hard water spots in about 3 seconds then I rinse immediately.

-Babka

o

chart

o

I wouldn't use it on marble or soft white natural stones (which usually contain calcium); but other than that, it wouldn't be considered a harsh chemical--esp since you usually use it in dilution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here