Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steam Shower

Posted by leeseebr (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 14:01

Do I need to slope my ceiling for a steam shower? Why? If I don't what are the risks?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steam Shower

The risk of not sloping the ceiling is condensation dripping down on you. Uncomfortable, but not disastrous. A lot of people find that not to be a problem in a small residential steam shower.

o

OK, thanks.

Are you familiar with installing steam showers? If so, can I use wonderboard in a steam shower?

o

Check with your building officials, the ceiling slope may be required by code.

One tip, even if you do slope the ceiling (2" per foot minimum), if you tile it and have a lot of grout lines, the grout lines can catch the condensate and become "drip" lines.

You can use wonderboard in a steam shower. But I do recommend, and I mean I HIGHLY recommend, using a topical vapor membrane over the wonderboard and then tiling right on the membrane.

Kerdi is my primary membrane in steam showers. An alternative would be a roll or trowel-on membrane that is not only waterproof, but vapor proof too.

o

Also, take a look at Noble products for the shower. The Noble Seal TS can be used with modified thinset which is recomended for steam showers and has a great perm rating as well. Good luck with the project!

Todd Stull
Enola, PA

o

Thank you both for your advice. So many details!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here