Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Converting sink to shower

Posted by geokid (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 13:36

I know this is not technically a bathroom, but it involves bath plumbing so I think you guys can help me.

Our laundry room is dysfunctional and I want to make it more functional. I want to utilize the space better as well as add a spot to rinse off messy kids/dog/spouse/self after being outside. We live on a dirt road in the country and it's easy to get messy outside. The laundry is right next to the garage entry door which we use all the time. This entry is not near a bathroom.

Here is a scale layout of the room currently.

photo LaundryCurrent-1_zps1a3de368.jpg

This is what I would like to do.
 photo 49af078d-23b4-4620-8926-c762dafb1927_zps4e9d6fd7.jpg

The current 24" sink would be converted to a 34"x30" small shower/tub like in this picture.

And for reference, the wall doors to master closet will be something like this.
 photo Laundry-Master_zpsa52d3b4a.jpg

Now to the bath question. How do I go about converting the sink to a "shower"? What does it involve? DH is handy with carpentry but we would have to hire a plumber for this and I would like to have a handle on what the project would involve before I talk to a plumber.

Forgot to mention: the area under this room is the mechanical room and the ceiling and walls are completely open there. Reaching the plumbing will be easy. And on the other side of the proposed shower wall is the master bath shower.

Thank you!

This post was edited by geokid on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 14:08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Converting sink to shower

Can you get a toilet in there too? I'd like a toilet in a room like that. Also to save space you could put a pocket door at the entry.

o

Thanks for responding.

I wish! But I don't think it will work. There is a powder room at the end of the hall. I should have said that the laundry room is not near a full bath. It is tiled all the way (the builder at least thought of that) but no shower within easy reach of the back door. I can handle messy footprints on the tile to the powder room, just not all over the house. :)

Believe me, if I would have had input into the design of this home, the whole back area would be completely different. But it's too new to justify ripping everything out to make it how I want. Sigh.

A pocket door is a good idea.

Someone on the design forum suggested using a dog grooming tub. She used one in a similar situation and it looks like it works well.

This post was edited by geokid on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 23:35

o

The sink to the shower should be relatively easy. The drain pipe would have to be moved and increased to 2". The washer may not be so easy. I would suggest cross posting this to the plumbing forum and add some pictures from the mechanical room showing the plumbing.

o

If the access to the master closet is only to avoid carrying dirty laundry into the utility room, I would reorient your plans and keep the washer and dryer on the wall where they are, stacked if you really want them to be, but at least you aren't having to rework plumbing and venting for the W?D.

Take that counter and run it across the back from the corner toward the W/D, even across the top of the W/D if they are front loaders. Give yourself more work room instead of less. Instead of a tilt basket, create a mini door in the wall and use a basket on wheels. Depending on the room you have in your closet, it could be on the floor, above the counter, a push/pull thing or a revolving thing with two or more baskets. Consider your storage and other needs and make that space work for you. The dog crate can still go under the counter.

I would make sure you still have the ability to do hand wash and hand washing in a sink -- either as part of the shower/tub area or a small separate sink. Plan for a rod, hooks or some other way to dry laundry or other drippy things over the shower. I think something along those lines would be less expensive and give you a lot more useful space.

o

Great feedback! I was just measuring in there to see if keeping the W/D in the same spot would work. The reason I wanted to move it in the first place was that I don't like having the W/D right when you come into the room. It's cramped at the doorway.

Lots to think about. I'll get a plumber over here to look at everything and give me estimates on moving items. Then I'll know what I'm working with. But it's good to know my idea isn't unfeasible, even if it might not be the best option. I'll have to see.

Thank!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here