Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wondercat_gw

Tankless/wall-mounted toilet?

wondercat
12 years ago

Hi All,

We are about to start a master bath remodel and are considering using a tankless toilet. I'm looking for advice! Anyone have any expereince with this technology, what to look for, where to get them, what to avoid? Good idea or bad?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• elphaba_gw
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm also hoping to include a wall mounted toilet in our two bathrooms being remodeled. I have done a fair amount of searching and not found too many reviews. Terry Love has a plumbing site and has a list of recommended toilets and there isn't a single wall mounted toilet in his list.

Reading elsewhere on his forum, there are a couple reviews that aren't negative (best one can hope for, I guess) on the Duravit brand. I was hoping for the Toto Aquia but can't find any reviews that are encouraging. Toto has such a good name, I was thinking this would be a good option but not sure at this point.

I can't remember where I read it, but I did read that if you have an old house with a relatively old sewer line (i.e. cast iron), a wall mounted toilet is not recommended. We have an old house but we have a new sewer line installed fairly recently so hope age is a non-issue for us.

Hope someone will chime in here with` some reports on having included a wall mount toilet in their remodel. Thanks for posting.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

They are all good. I have two.

In this post I'll write about the kind that have a tank concealed inside the wall, at the same height as a normal visible tank.

The Euro-style wall tank is often called Duravit / Geberit, (or Chicago-Faucet now that this company has merged with Geberit.) Around the world there are many toilet bowl manufacturers who make bowls that "hang" on this frame. The frame is called a "carrier". Use these words as your key words in your web search.

There is a Turkish competitor, a Japanese competitor, and an Australian competitor. All good.

key words in English = concealed tank ; carrier

--

There are other kinds of "tankless".

• antss
    12 years ago

Something to keep in mind is that most of the "carriers" require a wall framed with 2x6" lumber in order to fit.

There is/used to be a new version that is made to fit in a standard 2x4 framed wall , but it's not as easy to find and I have no experience with it.

Another reason you don't see many of these is $$$. The carriers run fro $500-1000 and the bowls cost roughly the same. Then there is usually a PIA charge from the plumbers.

$1000- $2000 for a toilet doesn't excite most people.

• David
    12 years ago

I have a Toto Aquia matched to a Grohe which works quite nicely. The Grohe carrier required 2 x 6 framing.

The number of in wall carriers available today has grown. There are a number of models designed to fit inside a 2 x 4 wall from various manufacturers including Toto. The unfortunate thing as antss pointed out is the cost.

• kashmi
    12 years ago

Ah, yes. Cost! We just installed a Toto Aquia with a Gerberit carrier. We did have to reframe for a 2x6 wall (and then added furring strips along the rest of the wall to bring the whole wall out that extra 2"). The materials cost was about $600 (we already had a Toto Washlet that we're reusing). The framing was not much extra. BUT, the plumbing charge was. While the plumber's bill included additional work in the bathroom, it was not an easy job to reroute the plumbing for the wall-hung carrier -- probably another $500 - $600.

• wondercat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm so grateful for all of this feedback!

The good news: we already have a 2x6 wall where the toilet sits. And, thanks to some rot issues, we'll be going to the studs on that wall. But that leaves still some expensive upgrades on a project that's already going to be expensive.

Thank you!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

We put in a wall mounted toilet in a powder room where we wanted to "use" an old antique toilet tank. We thought that the style of toilet would fool people into thinking the tank was operational, or at least not look as dumb as hanging a wooden tank right over a ceramic one.

I think ours is Duravit. It is perfectly fine. As for cost, this was part of a major gut reno/additions and many bathrooms done at once so I don't recall it as a stand out item.

• tlos
    12 years ago

We decided to install wall mounted toilets and wall mounted cabinets in our house renovation. We wanted everything off the floor for easy cleaning and to give the bathrooms a larger feel. We installed Duravit toilets with Geberit carriers in the wall. We hired a plumber to rough in the plumbing ie install the Geberit. He had never done one before but I went over the instructions in the box with him as he was installing it and he had no problems. After we drywalled and painted ourselves I installed the Duravit toilets myself. It is really easy because the Geberit connections to the toilet are all done by rubber seals and bolts. No gluing required. I just had to measure and cut the connecting pipes to the correct length for the wall thickness and then tighten the nuts and blots that attach the toilet to the Geberit.

In terms of the toilet itself, it works great. No problems with low flushing. In fact, these toilets seem to work better than the floor mounted. All our previous toilets in several different homes seemed to block easily, but these wall mounted have never blocked on us.

• Annette
    8 years ago

We have a wall hung toilet but the flush is not strong . What can we do to fix it?

• Jennifer Dwyer
    5 years ago

I see wall mounted toilets in heavy-use area - airports, hotels, etc. So I assume they are low maintenance. But what happens for trouble-shooting when tank is behind a wall? Costly if there are any problems..

• pattyl11
    5 years ago

• geyercarol
    last year

Are there tankless wall mounted toilets my rough is 10” does this matter with a tankless, wall mount?
    I love the style of the tankless but can’t find one for 10” rough, round seat depth only 22-24” someone must make one

• geyercarol
    last year

Would use a tankless floor mount.