Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak_2008_gw

Keeping the yellow tile, part 1

debrak_2008
12 years ago

Yes we are keeping the 1950s yellow tile. I know many can't wait to rip it out but we kinda of like it. Plus it would cost to much to replace with other tile.

We need a few replacement tiles and found it hard to match. Its not completely yellow, it has a green tint.

So here we begin. The green paint is from the 1980s, the tile 1950s. The vanity 1970s. The plan is to replace the horrible vinyl floor with porcelain tile which we just finished. Under the floor we added electric radiant heat. We will paint the vanity and the walls. Install a new toilet and have the tub only painted white. Replace mirror and lighting.

The room is really small so it was hard to get photos.

The next photo shows the new paint colors. Not sure how they show up but they really look nice with the tile in person. The wall color "tea light" looks pinky on my monitor but a really pale yellow IRL. I took a broken tile to SW and they helped me pick out the colors.

Just wanted to share with my GW friends our newest challenge.

Comments (8)

• Debra Vessels
    12 years ago

Sounds like a good plan. We too opted to paint our tub and regrout the salt & pepper tile over 10 years ago. We are now doing a complete gut, but it lasted us a long time, when we had just bought our house we just needed working fixtures, and it still had a 40's sink and toilet, that we replaced. The floor tile looks good, with the paint color and clean tile it will look nice and clean and fresh. The red paint color is for what? Good accent. Are you keeping the same vanity top? Good luck with the tub, I hope the paint lasts you a good long time. I look forward to seeing pictures when it is finished.

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The "red" (more orangey brownish) is for the vanity which is solid. The vanity top was replaced about 20 years ago but is still in good shape. We can easily replace it later. The sink and faucet are newer.

The tub will be professionally done with a 15 year warranty. Usually we DIY everything but thought we would get a better finish if the pros did it.

DH is checking all the grout and redoing a few areas.

A few people said we should have the tile sprayed too. White tile would be so boring. It's an old house and we are not trying to pretend its new.

I'll be posting progess photos!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I will miss the matching tub. I think it's pretty.

It looks like you could rub a different color over the relief in the wood on the vanity if you wanted to bring out the design. I've had good luck putting a translucent glaze over paint to give the effect of depth.

Tea Light looks peach on my monitor too. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and the finished product.

Renee

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

rather than yellow, your tile looks more in the very dark chartreuse/tan color on my monitor. But if it's 1950s yellow, you may be able to find replacement tiles at Clay Squared online tile store. Circuspeanut had used their tile and posted their link in the Kitchens forum. I haven't used it (still planning...) but am contemplating it for a vintage touch (in the kitchen).

I would've loved to have your yellow tile in our bath instead of the speckled beige tile that I see in every La Quinta or Best Western that we've stayed in.

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Clay Squared Mid-Century yellow tile

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When we bought the house over 20 years ago, the vanity was white with some gold on the relief pattern. If I were to use a color to bring it out what would I use?

The tub is being painted because the enamel is worn. When the tub is clean it has a white cast to it. Looks like soap scum. So it has to be painted. The company doing can't come up with a close enough paint match.

The tile does look darker than IRL. The lights were gone when I took the photo. Sorry for the dirty bathroom photos. I should have taken the before photos before the work began.

I went to several places to find a tile match. A helpful designer at a tile shop searched and found what we thought was as close as we are going to get. I will post some photos of it in "part 2". Not sure what company it was.

The paint advisor at SW said she had only seen that color once. It was in a 1950's house where everthing was original. The bathroom had this tile. When ripping out layers of flooring we found a 1950 newspaper at the bottom.

• Lynne Reno
    12 years ago

your new floor tile looks like it has a greyish cast? I would find paint that coordinates with that rather than the SW Tea Light, which I agree with a previous poster, looks 'peachy'. I would consider grey, or even espresso for the vanity rather than the red.

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The paint is already purchased. The color choices took dozens of paint chips and several months. This combo was something that just felt right and everyone in the family agreed. We were having actual arguements over the color of the vanity. I will try to get photos that show the colors better after we paint.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz