Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cast Iron vs Acrylic Tub- pros and cons?

Posted by Laura517 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 13:15

I recently selected the Kohler Archer tub for my girls', ages 12 and 8, shared bath in our new home. I selected it because it is 19" deep so they can take a nice bath, which they still like to do, especially the 8 yr old. We came in overbudget for our plumbing fixtures (go figure) and one way to cut a little $ off bottom line is to switch to a Kohler cast-iron tub. The one I've been quoted is $200 less, however, it is only 14" deep. I'm not worried about them stepping over the side when they get in and out because of their ages. I can't decide if it's worth the extra money for a deeper tub, or if cast-iron is more durable so that should outweigh depth decision....DH likes cast-iron, I'm more concerned with keeping my girls out of our tub in master bathroom. What would you do and why? How would you rate an acrylic vs cast-iron tub? Which one will show scratches? I think I used abrasive cleaners on current cast iron tub which took the finish off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cast Iron vs Acrylic Tub- pros and cons?

For a kid's bathroom, CI would be my first choice. The finish is more durable than acrylic. Dropped objects/bottles are more likely to damage acrylic than CI.

As to them wanting to bathe in your tub because it holds more water?

"Sorry kids. That's Mom and Dad's tub. You have your own tub."

o

We recently remodeled our bathroom and installed the Kohler Devonshire Acrylic Tub. I originally thought I wanted a cast iron tub but it was cost prohibitive when looking at deeper depths. I am more than pleased with the look and finish on our tub. Kohler recommends cleaning with only liquid dish soap such as Dawn which is what I have been using and it looks great. If your daughters are bathers as my daughter and I am it is well worth the extra dollars spent for a deeper tub and increase in water usage....I think it was a small price to pay for many years of great bubble baths....The only inconvenience with the deeper depth is cleaning the tub and stretching over the deeper sides. Sometimes I actually get in the tub to clean it, but still loving it.

o

mongoct: Thanks for the input, that does confirm what I thought about the durability of cast-iron. As for keeping 3 girls out of our bathroom- you made me laugh because you make it sound so easy!

Carol: would you post a picture of your recent remodel? I know what you mean about the difficulty of cleaning a tub with a deeper depth .

o

We have the Kohler Parity cast iron tub. It is wonderful!

o

I'd spend the money on the deeper tub. Shallow tubs are useless, in my opinion.

o

photo 20705EC3-4EA5-4E28-A4E3-CF6EC59604BC-209-00000019E7C7E1F9_zps29385fe2.jpg
 photo DC69A0E3-AB2A-40C1-91C0-6AB5CB103BB8-209-00000019EC883FF4_zpsb7ffb3dc.jpg
 photo 3A221438-0273-4518-8B81-CF2281A532A6-209-0000001A857EA4FC_zps099a91bd.jpg
 photo remodeling030_zps95853c4c.jpg
 photo 0C1871E7-52D6-461C-9801-07DDF4A25B21-209-0000001A8CBD595C_zpse98457a1.jpg
 photo C50BCB24-08FE-4C4E-A4F6-942DBE63DF2C-209-0000001A8A7677F3_zpsdffba8af.jpg
 photo remodeling027_zps44e7793b.jpg
 photo remodeling025_zpsad179ef0.jpg

I have never posted pictures before, I hope they post OK as I thought I re-sized but they still look big, sorry if they are not correct size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here