Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mic111

Has anyone installed Kerlite Plus?

mic111
12 years ago

Were going to be replacing the tile in our master bath. It would be tons easier to install something over the top of it. There is about 200 sqr ft of PEI 5 tile (the hardest to break). We will pull it out if we have to but I want to explore all other options first. In reading the forum I see Kerlite mentioned as a possible option to install over the tile with a minimum change in the floor height. Has anyone done it? Would you do it again? What problems were there? What advantages? And where did you buy it? I can't find anyone that sells it in Colorado.

Thanks!

Michelle

Comments (13)

• MongoCT
    12 years ago

No one has answered so I'll take a stab. I haven't worked with Kerlite, but I have handled the "Kerlite" tile. They didn't have the "Plus" or the "Twin", just the single-thickness version.

It was pretty cool tile, very thin. About 1/8" thick. It can actually be cut with a glass cutter, which was pretty nifty. It's very fine grained.

I've never used it, and don't have a source for it.

As to potential problems, in standard sizes there would be no issues with this tile. Getting into large-format, you run into the standard issues with large format. You want the substrate to be strong, stiff, and dead-flat.

• mic111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I'm starting to wonder if it is a failed product (one that was put out but either didn't work or didn't take off) since it seems to be so scarcely available. I hope I find something more encouraging soon, as our installation is tailor made for this product.

• Lynne Reno
    12 years ago

I don't know much about it, but I have heard it's VERY expensive, unless you have some reason other than avoiding tearing up your old tile- you might be money ahead just by hiring someone to take out the old tile and prep the floor.

• mic111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here us what I found out so far.

The place in the link below will sell it.

The Oaks family is $7.50-$8.50 sqr ft depending on the size of the sheet you order.

I'm going to go through their web site and write down the colors I'm interested in and see if I can get samples sent.

Here is a link that might be useful: One place that sells Kerlite Plus

• davidro1
    12 years ago

I have Kerlite. But I do not have a lot of experience with it. The price is the price and I find the price reasonable.

• mic111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi David,

Thanks for writing. How do you like the Kerlite? Any tips or pitfalls with installation? Can you post a photo of your install? What color did you install? Would you put Kerlite in again?

I also found the price reasonable so sent away for samples. They are sending me 7 colors. On their web site the pictures aren't very good and it is hard to see the patterns.

Thanks!
    Michelle

• davidro1
    12 years ago

hi michelle

when you get samples in your hand you will see it's a tile, and I have no idea how good your tilesetting skills are so I have no idea what to write in response. The person you hire (if you don't set tile) may botch any job, so again I have no idea what to write. Wait and see when you get the samples.

• mossimo
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I am also interested in using this new material on a basement addition roughly 350 sqf.
    I am pouring a new cement floor and wondering if I could apply Kerlite directly on it.
    Anyone had that experience?
    Regards

• JD Cleghorn
    3 years ago

We put Kerlite Oaks in our ensuite, bathroom and toilet when we built 5 years ago and it has been great. I love that there are so few grout lines. It needs to be handled with care as it is brittle before laid, and the large format sheets are difficult to handle in tight places. A metal beading strip helps to protect edges and gives a good finish. I plan to use this or a similar product next time we build but will go for the 1mx1m sheets for ease of handling. It is relatively expensive but this needs to be weighed against the immediate savings of grout, labor and time in laying, and long term time saved in cleaning--a big factor for me.

• dani_m08
    2 years ago

@JD Cleghorn - would you mind posting photos of your bathroom? I had never heard of Kerlite until just a few minutes ago I am interested in learning mkre about it. Thanks Thanks!

• JD Cleghorn
    2 years ago

• JD Cleghorn
    2 years ago