Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacobseric

Tub Height question

jacobse
14 years ago

I thought we were all set with our choice of a Kohler Hourglass 32 tub for our remodel when the plumbing supply manager noted that the 20 inch height of the tub was very high for a tub getting dual use as a shower. Darn, after all my focus on getting the right length and depth, finding a model with a tile flange for an alcove installation yet no apron so we can tile the front face, variances in height hadn't even occurred to me!

This tub is just a soaker, but the model line is also used for whirlpool baths, and thus the taller height. Sure enough, I just checked our old builder-original, 30 year-old tub, and it's only 14 inches tall.

This tub is the only one in the house, in the guest bathroom; our master bath has only a shower. It's only my wife and I in the house, and we're both shower people. My wife takes a bath very occasionally; I never do. We'll use it as our shower when we remodel of our master bathroom next, but infrequently thereafter, mostly for occasional guests.

Thoughts on the 20" height? Is it too high to step over when taking a shower? Is it a problem if someone who isn't too tall sits on the edge of the tub to swing their legs over, rather than just stepping over as they would with a lower tub wall? Should we be forgetting this tub and looking for something with a lower height? It seems like a number of other tubs that I've looked at are 18" tall (like the Kohler 1100 Expanse with curved front, which is explicitly designed to be used as a shower tub); is 2" a significant difference? As always, thanks in advance for any advice, experience or thoughts!

-- Eric

Comments (30)

• toolbabe
    14 years ago

Hello Eric,

We faced the same decision in our current MB reno. We opted to remove the alcove from the equation altogether and now have a separate soaker and shower.

One of the alternatives we considered was to open up the floor and sink the tub slightly down into the floor.

We chose not to do this because, as it was rightly pointed out to us, it is one thing to get into a tub when you are dry, and quite another to get out of it when you are wet. 20" is not extremely high and swinging legs over the side might not be a problem for you right now, but what about in 5 or 10 years time?

Cheers!

• jacobse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

At this point, I don't think removing the alcove is an option; it's the only logical place for a tub, which will be the only tub in the house. So I think we just need to make the best choices for the tub in this spot.

Since our idea was to tile the front of the tub, I started thinking about building a step in front of the tub -- but the bathroom isn't terribly wide and I think a step would take up too much space. (On the wall opposite the tub is a vanity and toilet; there's about 37" between tub and vanity, about 7" less in front of the toilet.) Thus the questions about whether a 20" tall tub is workable or not. (Wouldn't people using the tub just for bathing and not for showing have the same problems getting out of such a tub while wet?)

We're in our early 50s now, so I do understand about mobility concerns as we get older. I just don't know how significant a couple inches is. Could properly-placed grab bars easy entry/exit from a taller tub like this? Would we be better off abandoning the idea of getting an apron-less tub where we could tile the front, and get a lower-height basic tub? (That just can't be the right choice -- it would cost less for the tub and for the tiling, and we never choose the less expensive option!)

-- Eric

• salbwil
    14 years ago

Hi Jacobse,
    I also planned to use this tub in my remodel and for the same reasons as you. I contacted Kohler and specifically asked them if this tub was suitable for a shower/tub combination and they replied , "yes". My husband and I are older than you, and I don't foresee any problems.....planning on grab bars, etc. I wonder why Kohler does not have an alcove tub with no apron for a nice and professional looking install.
    salbwil

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

I'm doing the same thing - deeper soaking tub in an alcove tub/shower combo. The tub I'm getting is 19" tall. I actually never step over the tub to take a shower because I'm an amputee so sitting on the edge and swinging your leg (or legs if you have two) over the edge is really no big deal. And if you do this, it's actually easier with a higher tub than a lower one. I think you do have to watch out though if you have shower doors - as that limits your swinging space. We have a 66" tub though and will have one of those hinged shower screens so there is quite a bit of clearance. A shower curtain obviously doesn't present a problem here.

I just tried out this taller tub in a showroom yesterday and it seems to be no problem compared to the shorter one we have now. We will be adding a grab bar when we remodel as I actually think getting out of the tub would become the bigger challenge as I get older. When the side is lower it's easier to use the edge to raise yourself up - that doesn't work as well when it's taller.

• girlcat36
    14 years ago

I have a 20" tub/shower combo(Kohler Bancroft).
    I was a bit concerned about the tub height, I mostly shower and take a bath once a week or two.
    Having a soaking depth tub is fantastic.
    After a couple of weeks of use in my new bathroom, I got used to the new height and don't have any problems stepping over the tub wall.
    I will however, consider installing a grab bar in a about 15 years or so(I am in my forties now).

• pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

I am in the process of finishing tile work for a guest/main bath remodel. I have a similar situation: bath/shower combo in the guest/main and just a shower in the master. Previously it had a standard (harvest gold -- ew) tub with shower. I have replaced it with a Hydro Systems the Lacey (which is very similar to the Kohler Archer). The tub deck installation was at 20" high. I have been climbing in and out of it (with plastic and cardboard insecurely taped all over it for protection) for the last few weeks as I'm doing the wall tile myself. (This is my first tile project so it has been very slow going.) I have not found the height to be uncomfortable at all. I haven't yet stepped in and out while wet, but I am not concerned about the height. I also find the height to sit on the edge of the tub (feet in or out) to be very comfortable. I imagine if I had difficulty getting in and out, I could easily sit on the edge and swing my feet around. My significant other and I are young, but my father has come to help as well and hasn't had any difficulty either. I think you should be just fine.

• jacobse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the positive replies about a 20" tub height! I'm encouraged to think this might be workable as originally planned. I'm going to try to mock up a 20" height on our existing tub tonight to see if my wife and I find it problematic to get in and out of. I suspect since I'm 6' tall, it won't be an issue, but want to make sure it seems okay to my wife, who is shorter. As for the occasional guests, they'll just have to deal with it if we deem it okay for us! ;)

-- Eric

• dedtired
    14 years ago

I also was considering this tub and was concerned about the height. So I stacked some books on the edge of my current 14" tub and tried stepping over it. Too bad I caught my toe on the top book and sent the stack sailing into the not-yet-drained tub. Now I have a crinkly copy of "1001 Places to See Before you Die". Oh well, I still think the height is fine.

Before you do your mock up, be sure to empty the tub.

In the end I am getting a Kohler Archer because my new tub will only be a tub, not a shower.

I am curious what you think about the shape of the Hourglass. I think the slanted back looks comfy but had some concern about the reduced area of the bottom.

• jacobse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dedtired, you raise two good points. I was going to do the height test you suggested, and with a dry tub!

As for the shape, unfortunately, I'm going only by the pictures and specs on Kohler's web site, as I have not yet found one in a showroom to see in person. I think the hourglass shape would be nice for bathing (and actually slightly reduce the amount of water needed to fill the tub due to the indents), but I was a little concerned about whether it will seem much smaller when using it for a shower. Estimating as best I can from the diagram on the spec sheet, the flat area of the tub bottom appears to be about 44 inches, which seems like just enough for a 6-foot person like me to sit with legs fully straight out. It also seems almost identical to a non-hourglass tub shape like the Memoirs according to the spec sheets. As best I can judge from the pictures and spec sheet diagram, I don't think the curves or slanted back take away too much space to make it awkward for showering in. I don't think one really moves around too much side-to-side in the shower, and front-to-back (to step out of the water spray, for instance), the slant at the back doesn't seem to take away too much space. We'll install a curved shower rod so it doesn't feel closed-in, and I'm hoping it'll be fine as a shower. If anyone has any experience to the contrary or other words of wisdom concerning Kohler tub shapes, I'd welcome hearing about it!

-- Eric

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Eric, I know I saw an Hourglass somewhere in my bathroom shopping travels. I will keep an eye out for it and report back should I come across it again.

I currently have a tub/shower combo and since I am currently hyper-alert to bathroom design issues, I notice that I pretty much stay in one spor while showering in the tub. The floor space of the Hourglass should be fine, I think.

Althought the integrated tile flange isn't an issue for me, I tempted to get it for the nice slanted back.

• jacobse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Kohler Hourglass 32 comes in versions without the tile flange as well, for a drop-in installation on a deck if you're not using it as a shower. (As well as additional models with whirlpool jets.) I just came to it because it's one of only a few tubs I've found which have a tile flange and no front apron so we can tile the front of it. Kohler also makes the 6032 tub in a similar configuration, which is one inch shorter, but something about its style in the pictures and description makes me feel it's not quite as nice as the Hourglass 32.

-- Eric

• midwifekim
    14 years ago

the tub in our old house was tall and tiled. i'm 5'6" and i hated climbing over those tiles daily to shower. my 5'9" husband never noticed. we used the bubbles about 20 times in 7 years. (but we had a outdoor hot tub that last 3 years.

in the new place we're putting in lower, simpler tubs.

• denisef05
    13 years ago

So glad I found this thread as I am replacing what will be the only tub in my house. It will be used almost exclusively for showers but I am trying to pick up a tub that will function well for bathing too. I liked the look of the Kohler hourglass acrylic tub but wasn't sure how showering in it was.

Eric, did you go with the Hourglass? I am trying to decide between that and the Archer. I wasn't crazy about the non-slip surface on the bottom of the Archer.

Has the height or curviness of the Hourglass been an issue for shower people?

TIA,
    Denise

• jacobse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Denise, yes, we bought the Hourglass. It's a very nice looking tub (nicer than I could tell from the pictures on the Kohler site). With the front edge tiled, it really looks a lot nicer than our old standard tub. I can post pictures tomorrow if it helps. Unfortunately, I can't yet comment on showering in the tub, as we have just finished the room and haven't showered in it yet! In fact, the last detail we need to get is, of all things, the shower curtain. We installed a curved rod, so I don't think the curviness of the tub will be an issue at all. And I've climbed in and out a bunch of times; I don't think the height will be an issue, but we haven't tried it under live conditions yet.

-- Eric

• denisef05
    13 years ago

Thanks, Eric. I would love to see a picture when you have a chance. I did see the hourglass in a showroom and liked the look a lot. Figures as it was the priciest of the 4 tubs I considered. :)

Btw, I have found your posts very helpful. I will be ordering Toto toilets soon so thanks for your input on that as well. You convinced me to go double cyclone although I am a bit nervous about the 1.28 capacity.

Denise

• purplerascal
    13 years ago

Chiming in to say I'd also love to see a picture, as we're considering the Hourglass as well. Thanks, Eric!

• esoxdoctor
    11 years ago

I would be interested in pictures and details on how the front tile "wall" is constructed.

• rmsaustin
    11 years ago

Have you looked at/seen the Kohler Highbridge? Alcove tub that comes with or without an apron, 32 x 60 x 17

• lyvia
    11 years ago

I'm looking at the trajet bimini as a shower tub combo, so I feel that tub height concern. I can see sitting on the edge to swing in and out.

The harder part is getting from a full seated position in the tub up onto your feet. A grab bar that is higher than your shoulder could injure your rotator cuff unless you can do chin ups. Better to push up from a lower handhold. Look for a handrest edge detail to push down on. That's my theory, anyway. Does this work in practice?

• User
    10 years ago

Hi jacobse. I realize this thread is very old, but the original question has not actually been answered. How are you finding the 20" tub height for the combo shower use? If you had to do it over would you still purchase a 20" or go down to an 18" ADA height model?

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

This is a very old thread. Not sure if jacobse is around anymore.

In case it helps, we have the Kohler Greek tub which is 24" deep. We have a step in front and a grab bar on the side. I would not want to be stepping over the side on a regular basis. The tub is in the hall bath which is for my mostly-gone daughters and for guests. We also use it as a shower.

• User
    10 years ago

Thanks. Just thought I would take a gamble on the same thread instead of starting a whole new one. Will do that if necessary. There is a huge difference between 24" and 18"/20" so the original question is still unanswered.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Turquoiseblue,
    Take a look at the Kohler Archer tub. My daughter just had that tub installed last week in their hall bath. She has it as a tub/shower combo.

According to the Kohler website these are some of the features of the Archer:
    Comfort Depthî design offers a convenient/comfortable 19-inch step-over height while retaining the same interior depth as a standard 21-inch bath.
    Molded lumbar support offers extra comfort while bathing.
    Slotted overflow allows for deep soaking.

I have tested getting into and out of the tub and it is not a problem for me at 5'4" and 60 years old. Sorry, the bathroom isn't quite finished yet so no reports yet from my DD as far as real usage goes.

• Debbie Caple
    7 years ago

I just bought a Kohler Archer tub that is 19" high and I am concerned about putting it in. I am 5'1" tall and going to be 64 soon - with short legs :-). We now have a 14" tub with an older metal track on it for the shower door and I often hit my foot on that when I get out of the tub. I think I may regret buying this tub. I bought it fairly cheaply from ebay and went and picked it up today. Of course there was no way to brace it so I couldn't get into in to even try it out. I am thinking of trying to sell it on Craigslist or facebook. Really at a loss - in my research I thought the Kohler seemed like the best choice. We are putting in American standard cinencia shower walls with some tile accent and I sure wouldn't want to have to replace the tub! I was looking at Americast, Veritek, Bootz, etc. Seems everything has some bad reviews and the Americast was the worst. Now I have a tub sitting in my garage and my husband is going to kill me if I tell him I don't want it after all!!

• SirJohn
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My wife is 5'3" with short legs for her height. She is one that is not comfortable with 19" heights. We put in the Kohler expanse which is 17" (actually 16.25 from the finished floor), which is comfortable for her but she does note that it feels high.

The thing that people fail to consider besides height of tub is the width of the ledge you have to step over. A wider ledge means you have to stretch you leg further over, which requires a bigger leg lift and also a longer distance to be off balance. if you can't get in the tub itself, check out your local box stores and plumbing supply houses for tubs of similar dimensions and try those. If that's not an option, I suggest creating a sort of mockup, which can be done by stacking scrap lumber, or whatever other stuff laying around. You just need to create something a couple feet long and that can mimic outside height, inside height and width of ledge. Then you can step over to see how comfortable you will be. Have someone with you when you do it for safety. If you don't feel comfortable then go with another tub. I suspect if the 14" tub is already close to your max comfort, that the 19" maybe too much, but you should really check it out to be sure.

From my own personal research, I have come to recommend for shower/tubs a max of 18" for comfort and long term practicality, but many people go higher and it works for them. Installing grab bars for support will also help mitigate tub height issues.

• Debbie Caple
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks for your comment. Now my only problem is seeing I can resell the thing! It does have one corner broken slightly which will make it harder to sell. So then I a back to square one trying to decide which is the best tub i can afford.i paid $300 for this tub. Will I be happy with a cheaper tub? I don't want to have to replace it. I do not think I will be comfortable with this height. I also bought a granite vanity top with a small 13x10 undermount sink for $75 that I may have to end up trying to sell as well. I need some self control when I think I see a good deal!

• Debbie Caple
    7 years ago

Retuning the tub on Friday. Back to square one again :-(. It's a long way to take it back but lots of salvage and thrift shopping up that way.

• S C
    3 years ago

I know this is an old post but thought I'd share that Kohler's Bellwether tub has a 14" height for anyone who needs a shorter tub height. I worried my mother would fall when stepping in or out when visiting, so opted for this tub. I also prefer cast iron vs. acrylic, so win win.

• Veleta Witcraft
    2 years ago

I've been searching for a 14 inch high tub that is a drop-in with no luck. Seems like they all come with an integral apron.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!