Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elleninmaine

bath layout/shower size/aging in place

elleninmaine
10 years ago

--my first posting.
--thanks to all you intelligent and not overly showy people. have found great info on GW.
--am posting photo of totally gutted dilapidated house just to set the tone
- bathroom for 1 aging person is roughly 7 ' by 8'.
--tiled shower: corner or rectangle? will not do door, prefer curtain.
--any all advice appreciated.

thanks very much!

Comments (8)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Can you put a pic of the room up?

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Here is a link to a thread on aging in place bathrooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: aging in place bathrooms

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Here is an even better thread on aging in place ideas not only for the bathroom but the entire house.

Here is a link that might be useful: aging in place

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oops, put it on the wrong thread.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 15:20

• Katy60
    10 years ago

One thing I kept in mind was leaving clearances that would allow for rolling to the toilet and into the shower. I assumed the ability to stand up and turn. This allows for access by someone using a rolling walker, or seated on a rolling chair of some kind. I didn't worry about full scale wheelchair access as other aspects of my house make that impractical. The significant things were a curbless shower with a 36 inch entrance, and sufficient clearance in front of the toilet (and the path from the door to the toilet) to swing a rolling walker around easily. I also added a half wall so that I could put grab bars on both sides of the toilet. If you don't need grab bars there now, a major re-do lets you easily ensure good blocking for them goes in for the future at pretty much no cost. I have some areas in the shower blocked for additional grab bars if needed in the future (and a diagram showing exactly where the blocking is) Those were my major considerations as I was going through the process.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think a corner shower is a good idea. Give it a very wide opening which also extends far out, then use an curbed shower rod for the curtain and liner so there is still plenty of room inside the shower. room for a seat for sitting. And I would have two shower heads: one in the usual place, and one lower with a removable hand-held head so if someone is sitting down, they can reach is and use it for showering.

If you put a slight decline on the floor from the entrance to the center/drain, the water will roll down to the drain and not out of the shower, so you wouldn't need a lip to keep the curtains in and the water from spraying out.

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

Our shower is 3 1/2 by 5; we do not have a shower curtain or door. Just a low curb. We haven't had any problems with water escaping the shower stall. I think the spray only goes about 2 1/2 feet from the head, which is on the wall opposite the entry (sorry - I don't have a drawing). We have grab bars by the toilet; one of the grab bars also has a tp holder, so it doesn't *look* medical. The toilet is raised...we didn't build the house to be wheelchair accessible, but rather accessible to crutches. I just had a knee replacement 1 1/2 week ago, about a month after we finished building our house and moved in. I don't know what I would've done without the accessible features!!..Oh - we only have one shower head; it is on a sliding bar, which means we have a shower head that is both fixed and at standard height and is also removable.

• elleninmaine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

all great ideas. thank you very much!