Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stayghost_gw

Advice needed for vanity size in sloped half bath

stayghost
11 years ago

I am in the process of having a cedar closet upstairs turned into a half bath.

My conundrum is trying to figure out whether to do a 48" or 36" vanity.

If I do a 48" vanity, there's more countertop and storage and I maximize using the 56" width of the end wall. However, the centerline for the sink / mirror will be about 24" off of the right hand wall. Because the center line extends further left - it is closer to the roof slope. This means the vanity lights would have to come down lower, be narrow (2 bulb ?) and hang right around my head / eye level. (I'm 5'11" .. my wife is only 5'2" though!)

If I do a 36" vanity and hug the right wall; there is a bit less counter space and storage. I also leave 20 inches of empty space to the left of the vanity. The center line for the sink / mirror will be about 18" off of the wall, 6" giving me more height for the vanity light before I hit the roof slope. This would allow it hang about 6" higher on the wall.

- Go with 36" and make the light / mirror function best?
- But with 36" I leave 20" not used on the left - is that dumb?
- Go with 48" and maximize the space there ⦠Maybe the light being lower doesn't matter?
- Go with 48" and do the lights slightly off centered. Off centered would look OK because of the sloping roof side wall?
- Or maybe 48" looks like I'm stuffing over-sized fixtures in a small room?

As you can see I'm paralyzing myself with over analysis.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

FYI - I am putting a light in the center of the flat ceiling as well; the issue is with a second dedicated light fixture above the vanity mirror. (for my wife doing her make-up, etc.)

Comments (4)