Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement Bathroom rough in question

Posted by pmfleisch (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 12:54

Hello,

I'm a DIY'er wanting to start a basement bathroom project. I'm going to hire a plumber for permitting and final ok's, but want to start trenching to get the project going.

The bathroom will have a shower, lav and toilet. I also want to put in a new floor drain on the other side of the bathroom wall to replace the current floor drain that will be removed by my project.

There is a floor drain that I'm going to drain everything into (under grade). There are dry vents above the bathroom that I'm going to vent everything into.

Here's my questions...

1) Does my layout make sense? I think I'm doing it right, but the floor drain tied into the shower is a bit of a guess.

2) If the layout does work, do my sizes look ok?

3) How deep do all these things have to be? Is it just enough to keep a 1/4" per foot angle for drainage or is there a 6" under flood requirement?

4) Any other bits of wisdom would be appreciated.

Again, I'm not planning on doing this start to finish by myself, but I want to get things going. I've got a baby on the way and want to do what I can before I run out of time.

Thanks for your help.

This post was edited by pmfleisch on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 14:47

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement Bathroom rough in question

I suggest posting your questions and illustration on the Plumbing forum. Believe you'll get better expertise there.

Here's what I think will be recommended:

WC drain being 3". The new 5-litre toilets are coded for a smaller diameter drain in order to assure water actually washes everything clean.

Lav being 1.5", same logic.

I'll be following information you gather as I'm probably going to do similar next summer. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here