Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

New bathroom almost done

sweeby
15 years ago

Thought I'd post some pictures of our 99%-complete new bath. As you can see, the bedroom beyond isn't done yet, and there's no door yet, but the bath itself is about done - Yay!

Paint - Ellen Kennon Gustavian Grey

Vanity - Medallion in Knotty Alder wood, Walnut stain

Sink & Toilet - Toto Baldwin/Clayton

Faucets - Husdon Reed

Field Tile - Emser Classica in cream

Accent Tile - Walker Zanger Mizu

Floor - Walker Zanger 'White Cloud' marble, honed.

Countertop - Walker Zanger 'White Cloud' marble, polished.

Wall Sconces - Can't remember!

Fixtures - Kohler Bancroft

Comments (46)

• houseful
    15 years ago

Oh my, that is truly a beautiful space! Your attention to detail is just wonderful.

• User
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! You did a great job, I love the tile choices, that blue is amazing.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

WOW! I'm in love! What a calm, classic, drop dead gorgeous space! I'm going to go google Walker Zanger Mizu tile now, since you can guess my favorite element :)

Blue

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

WZ should use your bathroom in their catalog. In other words, superb. Love the mix of white, cool and dark. The chrome looks timeless.

Please use starphire for the shower door. It would be a shame to cover the gorgeous tile work with a green filter (aka regular glass) :) ( I am the regular glass police here )

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Wow, you did great. It all sings together--just perfect.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Sweeby, you used the Sea color, correct? That is a beautiful tile. The catalog shows a lot of crackling; is that your experience?

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

sweeby I am utterly drooling - that is drop dead gorgeous! That's the kind of space that many (many, many!) years from now, someone will be taking great pains to refresh and restore so as not to lose their fabulous bath. Simply stunning.

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

Absolutley beautiful! I love your color scheme and material choices. Wow!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Absolutely Perfect! Bravi! (I know it was a joint project, right? Your DH being a DC as well :))

It's so interesting how the GG comes out in that context. The light-blue-ness of it really shines out. Fascinating.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! We just love how the space turned out. I was shooting for a look somewhere along the lines of 'Newport in the 1930's' or 'toned-down Hollywood glam' style, and having that mission statement really helped me stay on track with the fixtures and finishes.

The tile work was a PITA, but as you can tell from the tilework photos, Hubby took great pains to do it perfectly. Each of those little Mizus in the shower inset had to be pulled off the mesh backing and re-set by hand. Hubby also cut the frame tiles in such a way that the corners are perfect where the frame meets the rail. Also, the Classica 3x6's were not perfectly square (though they were perfectly alike), so each one had to be turned 'just so' to keep the tile spacing predictable.

Bluekitchen - You're right - it is the Sea color, and very crackly! So hard to choose just one color since they were all so gorgeous! And now WZ has added more shapes, including some that are really long and skinny.

Pharaoh - Actually, we aren't going with glass doors in the tub/shower, but rather a shower curtain. I sew, and made a nice heavy one from a slubby aqua linen trimmed with taupe silk shantung. It'll be set behind a cornice board (arched to match the sink) covered in the aqua linen and trimmed with a double-row of thick cording in the taupe silk. (Since this is a guest bath and the curtain is lined plus a clear liner, I'm thinking the less-than-suitable fabrics will survive for a few years.) That cornice and the door are the only parts left to do...

• crazyhouse6
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!! Excellent attention to every detail.

• shannonaz
    15 years ago

Sweeby, your bathroom is gorgeous! I love the tile wainscoting...how high up the wall did you tile? I so want to do that in my bathroom!

• astridh
    15 years ago

Really gorgeous. I love the blue tile, even if you are supposed to have to seal crackle tile every year. Every element works together harmoniously. I want to be your guest. I hope your own bath is that lovely!

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

I love the idea of the silk curtain. Cant wait to see it!

• megradek
    15 years ago

I LOVE it!!! the tiles are just gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I can't imagine how pretty it is in person. Love the sconces, classic crystal knobs, paint color. well done - enjoy!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing that curtain, sweeby...and may I ask, what did you do to the window? Is it somehow silvered to match the mirror frame? I can't tell from the pic.

It's all so beautiful. A masterpiece.

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

ahhh sweeby you worked magic in there! Send my congrats to dh as well - what a guy -

Nicely appointed -
    I started sewing & can't wait to see your curtain - & do you piece it or get xtra wide fabric - is your finished curtain 72x72? Oh, i get curious over these things - also, I found the white 100% poly curtains work well under the fabric curtains, better than the clear plastic imo - & a curved rod makes difference as well

Nice inviting, warm space for some lucky visitors
    Oh, & I am a huge bird lover - where did you find that lovely trash bin - maybe it is not even a trash can?

Enjoy!

Dont forget to show off that completed shower curtain

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Love, love, love the tile! What a beautiful, classic, peaceful, elegant bathroom. Just tranquil and wonderful. I wish I had more bathrooms so I could make one look just like this. :-)

• carolynwith3
    15 years ago

It all looks wonderful, but the tile choices are inspired! So pretty and classic. You must smile every time you enter.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

Absolutely Beautiful!!! Soothing, relaxing and calming. I love the knotty alder, the beautiful soft blue tiles...love it all! I had a decorator suggest I paint my walls blue (I did a similar color scheme to yours) instead of tan I used. Kinda wish I had after seeing yours. VERY nice Sweeby! Your husband did an excellent tile job! Would you mind telling me where you found your blue towels?
    Monica

• sweeby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments! -- And yes, we do smile every time we go in there ;-)

Shannon - The wainscot height was planned so that all of the accent pieces would be above the vanity -- so 31" or so to the first 'cigar', then 5 rows of the Mizu, then the top cornice rail. We wanted the wainscoting to be high enough to also function as the backsplash, but not so high that it interfered with the mirror. We got lucky with the window placement leaving room for exactly one full Mizu row -- can't claim any credit for that. Actually, we got lucky many, many times with this tile! Our walls were exactly the right size to end patterns at whole or half tiles, and we had very few 'slivers', despite all of the small tiles and cuts.

Fly - The window is stained in a 'driftwood' color, and the trim is a milky cocoa shade. Those colors were dictated by my office (a very light peach walls with dusty aqua and cocoa woodwork) which we redid about 5 years ago, and which will get incorporated into this en suite. (Smallish bedroom, office and private bath.)

Jejvtr - The shower curtain is pieced, so two full widths of a 54" fabric. I was wanting to create a luxurious, full 'drapery' feeling, so I did the whole lined and drapery-pleated thing at the top. (Knock on wood that it actually looks like my vision!) It's extra-long - so 72" wide at the pleated top, and about 90" long (though some of that will be behind the cornince), and should stop about 2" above the floor. And the inner liner is an extra-long white poly fabric - not quite as long as the curtain, but long enough to stay inside the tub while the curtain stays outside. (I hope -- I have boys...)

And you're right that the designated trash bin isn't really a trash bin -- It's a planter I picked up at Home Goods for a few dollars long before the bath was done. It was just so pretty and it reminded me of where I wanted to go in the room...

Monica - The blue towels are also a Home Goods find. On clearance, no less! And the tub mat, which I didn't photograph, but which has a zig-zag pattern that perfectly echos the herringbone in the shower feature section.

Somehow, this bathroom (after the tile) just fell into place, with none of my usual agony over finding the right accessories. They just fell into my lap...

• shannonaz
    15 years ago

Sorry for another question! Is the bottom row of tiles (against the floor) made up of 6X6 tiles cut in half?

• chrystyne731
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the color combinations. I think yours and Monicakm's are my favorites that I have bookmarked. GREAT JOB!!

• mlk58
    15 years ago

Just fantastic! I love the tiled walls with the beautiful border and chair rail! I am going to bookmark this page for the day when we're ready to do our second bathroom!

• pamelas_kitchen
    15 years ago

Wow, that is gorgeous. I clicked on a picture to see additional bathroom views--your whole house looks amazing!

• rockrisley
    15 years ago

Love,Love,Love your bathroom! Mine starts next week. I'm doing a similar color scheme but with white and aqua. I was wondering about your baseboard. Is it actual baseboard or did you use chair rail and subway tile? I thought about getting baseboard tile but it wasn't available in the tile I chose. Also, I hope you will post a picture of your shower curtain when it is done. I too sew and have purchased the fabric for my shower curtain but I haven't done anything with it yet. I think we have very similar taste. Do you know who makes your toilet paper holder? I really like it. Thanks and enjoy your new bathroom.

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

looking for the shower curtain........

• lagrant
    15 years ago

Just beautiful. WOW. SO...let's talk about that sexy floor tile - it could be exactly what I'm looking for! From the pictures it looks darker/different than the counter. Is it the same material and do they look the same in person? You said the floor is honed and the counter is polished, but on my monitor it looks more varied than I would expect. And what color grout? It looks divine!

Thanks!

• sweeby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My 'baseboard' is made from a part of a 9x12 tile (about 5x9) with a 'cigar rail' on top. Our cigars and chair rails were 9" long, so we used the 9" dimension, and sized the portion 5" part according to what looked best and gave us the correct overall wainscot height.

The floor tile is honed Winter Cloud marble, and the individual tiles are actually darker than the countertop, though it's the same material. We bought the floor tiles many moons ago for an entirely different tile plan(long story), then laid them all (choosing the darker tiles) before we decided definitively on the countertop material. Then, when we hunted for the Winter Cloud, we found it was out of stock at the only place in town that carried it (Walker Zanger) but they helped us track down a scrap. When I finally found it, I didn't feel 'lucky enough' to be picky!

• dreamywhite
    15 years ago

Sweeby - how do you like your Hudson Reed faucet? Does it work well and not leak? It's so beautiful in your new sparkling bathroom. I have never heard of this brand before admiring your new bathroom. Please give me your honest opinion on them. Are they as good as other brands like Kohler?

• newhome3
    15 years ago

Beautiful Bathroom!! Your cabinets are ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! That color....wow...so rich and warm looking. I am hoping that the oak cabinets I have chosen can be stained to that exact same shade!

• sweeby
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And the final piece is in! The shower curtain and cornice that I went all-out with. I didn't want one of those little flimsy ones made of funny fabric, and the glass tub enclosures always seem to get crusty. So I made my own --

This is the designated guest room and guest bath, so it won't see too much hard use, so I think the linen and silk will wear OK. (There is a waterproof liner.)

• sherri_09
    14 years ago

Wow! I didn't think you could improve on this bathroom, but you managed to find a way! Simply stunning!!

• mikeandbarb
    14 years ago

Beautiful bathroom. We are doing our master bath and I was thinking of doing tile up the wall instead of base board. We did it in the laundry room and I like it. No worrying about wood getting wet.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Ooooh, sweeby. That's just perfect.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

sweeby, where did you find the hook for the shower curtain? It looks like it has a crystal finial on it?

• sweeby
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It does actually have a little crystal finial ;-)
    I got it on ebay from some place in England. Basically just like a little cup hook.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Thanks so much. Was it pandora's upholstery, do you remember? (don't bother to look it up, just if you should know offhand, thanks)

• sweeby
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes - it was Pandora's

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Thanks very much, sweeby!

• missylin
    14 years ago

I love it all. Even your toilet is pretty. The tank looks like a very nice style. Where did you get your knobs and what brand, etc. I love the vanity. Did you have it made at a cabinet shop? This is a really fabulous bathroom.
    Lin

• Newyorking
    14 years ago

Why don't I see any pictures? I cannot see any link to the pictures.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Missylin - The knobs, I got on eBay -- Great place to shop! And the vanity is a standard-sized piece from a cabinet line (Medallion). I guess they make them to order, but not fully custem.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Ah...sweeby...so nice to see this thread again. I came by to ask a question, actually: how are you feeling about the *fixed* showerhead from HR? I'm considering getting a tub/shower set from them for DD's bathroom and I want to know about how they handle regular water pressure. It would be the cloudburst one--similar to yours in that I think it's all straight down, but only along some rays from the center, not a full field of water. Do you have any thoughts on this? Thanks again for sharing this beautiful room and I hope you're still enjoying it as much as you were earlier.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Fly! ;-)
    This isn't the bath with the Hudson Reed shower head -- that's the bath with the green arch tile. We got the 'exposed valve and riser' setup, and I really like it. The handheld in particular has *fabulous* water pressure, though the rain shower isn't half bad... We recently replaced the main water line into the house with a larger-than-typical line, so we have a lot of water, and I haven't noticed any problems. Though if my valve were buried deep in a wall with no access, I might not be so comfortable...

• Gingersnaps17
    9 years ago

Hi, Sweeby
    I realize this comment comes WAY after the conversation above, but if you don't mind me asking:
    Did you purchase TWO tiebacks, one for each side of the swathe?
    If yes, did you screw them in right next to each other?
    Do you remember the eBay seller who sold you the tiebacks?
    And where did you find that gorgeous swathe?

Beautiful job!

Thanks!

This post was edited by Gingersnaps17 on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 13:38