Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

mid-job rant....

bluekitobsessed
14 years ago

The tile work started in earnest on both my mom's/guest/powder/downstairs bathroom and my son's bathroom last week. Everything will be beautiful soon. However, they had to remove both toilets, showers, and sinks, leaving the family with one working bathroom, mine, accessible through my bedroom.

This past weekend, that one bathroom was used by my 85 year old mom with insomnia, my 16 year old son and his best friend who keep strange weekend hours, my 14 and 11 year old nieces who've discovered the joys of preening and primping, and me. Argh!!!

I suppose it could be worse -- in pioneer times, we'd be using an outhouse.

Comments (11)

• coolbeansw
    14 years ago

Oh, it will be so wonderful having two bathrooms renovated! Well worth some temporary inconveniences.

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

Ahh! When it's all done you will look back and laugh, and, appreciate your new bathrooms all the more!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

What pioneer times? When I first started coming up here to Maine in 81, my brother in law (at the time) had an outhouse! Wonderful times waking up in the middle of the night while visiting during the winter with a 24 hour stomach bug! I won't take that any further!

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

And here I'm dreading tearing out our two main/upstairs baths to work on both at once (stealing space from one to make the other a drop wider), leaving just two adults with one bathroom to use! It is way downstairs though....(hey, getting up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night is annoying even when it's only three steps from the bed!).

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Years ago when I was building our house, we were renting a very small and supposedly year-round beach house a couple of towns over.

When the cold weather hit, the place would not stay warm, even with the electric baseboards eating up over $400 a month.

I awoke one morning to the sound of running water. The pipes had burst. The owner made the repair, a day later they froze again. The owner fessed up that the place had no insulation (no kidding?), and with no other rentals available we moved into our house early. Way early.

While the radiant floor heat was working in the new house, no plumbing fixtures were installed.

Our toilet for several days, I can't even recall how many, was a drywall bucket. With a lovely toilet seat that I fashioned out of a piece of I-joist, the edges smoothed with a belt sander. We bought and installed a fridge, I got a sink installed and running, and we cooked on a propane camping stove foe several weeks until I got the kitchen up and running.

Too funny. For my young kids, it was simple adventure and "just another day in the life." Ah, the things we do when we have to do them. The times when you're forced to be a bit resilient can be most memorable.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Those are the times you remember the most, though-- making the best of adversity!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

What's scary isn't the fishing rods in there.... but the need for a LANDING NET!!

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Hah!

• ferrets_x_2
    14 years ago

Our only bathroom is undergoing a complete gut remodel along with 2 bedrooms (making a smallish master "suite" w/powder room and wet room/vanity/wardrobe area)...no toilet or bathing facilities for 6 weeks. Bought flushing porta-potty for use in the interim, although I've never been responsible for one before (used them as a kid when camping with grown-ups so I thought it was a grand idea). A week's worth of holding tank waste went to work with DH for emptying, neither of us realized how odorous the emptying process would be (we work at the same place). DH dumped the tank into the shop toilet for disposal and *completely* stunk up the entire 6,000 sq ft facility requiring the opening of doors and overhead doors, in sub-freezing temps, to air it out. The boss's mood was just as chilly...this is in addition to us using the shop shower while ours is out of service. I guess we'll owe him at least a very, very nice meal...and we'll have to find someplace else to do the holding tank dumping (which will now be our sewer clean-out, snow or not).

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I guess we'll owe him at least a very, very nice meal...

Preferably AFTER washing your hands!! LMAO That's a riot!

I bet that's one they talk about for years to come!!