Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pegmus

Please Help with Mirror

pegmus
10 years ago

We have a house we are building at the river and this "jack n jill bathroom has two separate sink areas sharing a toilet and tub. The theme in this area is somewhat "nautical"/rustic.

First off, I realize the "light" is a BIG problem. When I ordered the light, I thought it could be hung so the light could go up or down but our electrician had already installed them when I realized this is the only way it could go. Because these boards have been stained individually to give it a "driftwood" effect, we cannot do any changes (especially since this took a long time to find a light that could possibly work with the faucet finish...long story) Actually the walls look better than the picture shows.

That being said, does anyone have any ideas of what type of frame (i.e. wood, finish, shape, etc.)and how large to put here? The faucets are going to be "antique pewter" (looks like a pump), the light is a rustic "black", and the granite (with a cover over it) is Ubatuba (basically black with gold flecks. The sink is a black "glass" round bowl.

Would REALLY appreciate any suggestions other than starting over with the lights. Sure wish I could do that as it would make all the difference but is not possible at this time.. I have been advised that a rectangle mirror hung horizontally would fill in the space the best with the light situation. There is also another area the same although a little bit wider. This picture's measurement for the open area is 44 1/4" Wide x 39 1/2" Tall and the other sink area is 49 3/4" Wide x 39 1/8" Tall.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Comments (11)

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

you could do a rectangle mirror about as wide as the lights and mount it just a few inches below the light, wood frame painted the same color as the vanity.

I know that seems a little narrow for a mirror but it seems a shame to cover up all the wood panels with something larger.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Defiinitely a white mirror to match vanity. I'm sure you could even find one that incorporated both the beadboard detail and the curved crown molding detail.

I tried to post this on my Houzz Ideabook, so that I could then embed it here, Didn't work, but here's the link to a mirror similar to what I'm thinking...

Here is a link that might be useful: white cottage mirror

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Why not an oval to mimic the shape of the sink.

Usually I am a proponent of mirroring the whole wall and poking the fixture through the mirror, but in a case like this I would want a lot of the paneling to show. You need a mirror that is big enough to give a good view when you look in it, and that's all.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i would probably 1st see if i could find/build an unfinished wood mirror/picture frame that could be stained similarly as the walls about the width of the light and most of the space between vanity and light and get a mirror cut for it...

if that wasn't an option, i would probably try to find a mirror about the same size (light width, ht ~ from light to vanity backsplash) with a very thin black frame.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

With that light it looks as though like it's not even sufficient to shave. I'd look for another light.

There are many picture frame styles - you can get it custom sized and a mirror to fit.

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

My personal reference would be to keep the light, the mirror and the vanity top in the same color family, so I'd go with a dark mirror frame.

As to the shape, my first preference would be for an oval frame, that would help show off the woodwork. If you'd prefer less woodwork, then a rectangle would work fine.

It can also depends on the height of your kids. If they are short, you might consider a rectangular frame hung vertically to give "more mirror" at the lower height. If they are taller, I'd recommend an oval frame.

Again, you have use issues, color issues, and design issues. Just think them through and choose what works for you.

• pegmus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, what great advice from each of you.

"Lotteryticket", we don't have an issue with covering most of the wood if that is what will look best as this paneling is all through the bathroom.

Our vanities were actually made to order with the paint color called "Iced Marble" by Benjamin Moore which is a kind of bluish green. Maybe matching this with a mirror would be a good idea...hadn't thought of that.

"raehelen", I love the mirror you sent a picture of and appreciate you taking the time to try to embed it. I wish I could do that. I am definitely a "visual" type of person otherwise, I have a hard time imagining what things will look like.

"ineffablespace", hadn't thought about an oval mirror..might work! We just thought it might be too much mirror for that area if we encased the entire area with mirror & the light too close to molding.

Our Master Bath has double sinks and a cathedral ceiling. Across from the vanity is a huge picture-type of window overlooking the water which will reflect in the mirror. This has actually also been a tough decision since there is so much space above the lighting. I have attached a not so great picture of this. Think we have decided to enclose the wall with a huge mirror going above the lighting with it poking out. We are trying to decide whether to do a beveled mirror or putting a frame around it using the "Mirror Mates" custom. Any suggestions on that?

Back on the Jack n Jill bathroom, I'm afraid if I make the mirror too small, it will look lost in that big area and if I do too narrow, it will look funny with so much on either side.

Maybe I can do some "mock" mirrors with cardboard and post some more pictures to get your thoughts and then will need to decide on the finish. Do you think a Black or antiqued silver mirror would do?

Thanks, again, so much for all your suggestions.

P.S. See the Master Bedroom picture (if you can make out what I'm talking about..also the paint color is Louisburg Green from Benjamin Moore. Doesn't do it justice!

• pegmus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow you guys are great! I didn't realize I had gotten more advice and great, too, while I was composing my last response.

"mongoct", I love what you did. I think there is hope after all!

Geoffrey_B, I agree, about the light but that is what we are stuck with for now. We have, as my husband puts it, more fish to fry right now with completing the house. It is a horrible choice of style for this bathroom but "that's" a long story.

Thanks so much all of the suggestions.

I've attached another picture of the Master Bathroom dilemma picture

• pegmus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"busybee3" sorry didn't mean to overlook your advice and I think I may have to "custom" make something as you suggested. Thanks again for your suggestions.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

What makes the light look weird are the tall, narrow shades. Could you replace them with a different style, like an open bowl shape?

• pegmus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know, I will definitely look when I get back to the house.
    Thanks for the suggestion...sure would be nice if I can because that could really help.