Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nottina

cultured marble and granite in bath

l west
10 years ago

I am in the process of updating the master bath in a 10 year old house. Everything is in great shape, but just a bit outdated. The vanity has been refinished with new hardware added throughout the bathroom, paint, new light fixtures and we plan on re-tiling the floors. The bath faucets are builder grade brass and need to be replaced.

The countertops, sinks, garden tub and shower are made of cultured marble, which is fairly standard in my area. Since we are replacing the faucets, we are considering adding granite countertops and undermount sinks at the same time.

The cultured marble in the tub and shower are in great shape and we are not considering changing them. Would it be odd to add granite to the countertops and keep the cultured marble tub and shower?

Comments (8)

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Not at all. Obviously pick a granite that goes well with what you already have.

Full disclosure: I have a granite countertop with a CM shower! LOL

• l west
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks raehelen!

What color is your cultured marble and what color granite did you go with? My cultured marble is a white-on-white color and we refinished the vanity to a soft white.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

I bet you will not have to replace the vanity once you replace the faucets with really nice substantial models. Replace the tub and shower trim to match. You can even change the finish on your tub and shower to match new faucets. If you have a roman faucet, pick out that trim first and then get matching lav faucets. It is perfectly acceptable to have a cultured marble vanity. Buy your faucets on line or at a plumbing supply store, not at the big box stores. Buy faucets whose model numbers match those on the manufacturers websites.

Tile your floor. Put a nice coat of car wax on your cultured marble, (but not the shower pan) Step back and voila, you have a new bathroom.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

I just thought of something else - you can add trim around your mirror. The frame will draw your eye up from the cm backsplash on the vanity and be a nice contrast against the white cm. Or get separate mirrors if you like that look. The frames along with more painted wall space will give you another look - if you have any left over paint.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 19:56

• raehelen
    10 years ago

We have white on white CM too. Our granite is probably antique rose, not sure of the name, we bought a pre-cut top. It is white with grey, black and pink/maroon speckles. Nothing spectacular. Does the job, doesn't show any spots, doesn't etch. We're happy with it, definite improvement over the previous 40 year old laminate and mint green fixtures! LOL

• chisue
    10 years ago

Isn't granite a problem for a much-used vanity? Have to seal it regularly?

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Chisue, not necessarily. I have had granite in my kitchen for 7 years now, and haven't had to reseal it yet. I have had the granite in the basement BR for 4 years, and it looks like new. Both counters are used a lot, no sign of wear. You certainly couldn't say that with a laminate counter and definitely not a CM counter. I think CM is a superb surface for a shower or tub wall, not so superior for a counter.

• analyst-therapist
    10 years ago

No it would be fine. Remember most shower tile is totally different from the vanity top. Just pick colors that complement.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County